Potato and Yardlong Bean stir Fry or Aloo Barbati Recipe
Aloo Barabati Ki Sabzi or Potato and Yardlong bean stir-fry is very simple Yardlong bean or Barbati Recipe which taste great with Roti, Parantha or Poori.
Yardlong bean or Chinese long bean or snake bean is easily available vegetable across India. It has been called by many different names such as Barbati, Borboti, Boda, Bora or Lobiya etc. In northern India, its mostly called as Barbati or Lobiya. And, one of the easiest Barbati recipes is a side dish made using potatoes and yardlong beans. This spicy Indian side dish tastes great with Roti, Parantha or Poori. Yardlong beans or Barbati or Boda is a very healthy vegetable full of protein, vitamins, and nutrients. So next time, if you spot them in your local vegetable market, do buy them to make the delicious Aloo Barbati recipe.
Aloo Barbati Recipe Ingredients:
1 cup ~ 240 ml
Yardlong beans (Barbati or Boda), washed, cleaned and chopped into about 1.5-inch pieces, 2 cups
Potatoes, about 3 medium-sized, cleaned peeled and chopped into medium sized cubes.
1 medium sized Onion, peeled, cleaned and chopped
Ginger, peeled, cleaned and grated, 1 teaspoon
4 cloves of garlic, peeled, cleaned and finely chopped
Cumin (Jeera) seeds, 1 teaspoon
Fennel (Saunf) seeds, 1 teaspoon
Coriander(Dhania) seeds powder, 2 teaspoons
Red Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder, 1 teaspoon
Fresh green chilies, 2, finely chopped
Turmeric (Haldi) powder, 1 teaspoon
Dry mango powder(Amchoor), 1/2 teaspoon
Salt, as per taste
Water, as needed, I have used 1/2 cup of water
Refined oil, 3 tablespoons, I have used refined sunflower oil.
Aloo Barbati Recipe Method:
1. Wash thoroughly yardlong beans (Barbati or Boda) in running water then, remove the tip of beans from both the end. After that chop beans into 1.5 to 2-inch slices using a sharp knife.
2. Clean, peel and cut Potatoes into the cubes as shown in the picture below.
3. In a heated pan with oil in it, add cumin (Jeera) seeds and mix well. Let the seeds crackle for 10 seconds and turn golden brown in color.
4. Add fennel seeds (Saunf) and cook it for few seconds on a medium-low flame.
5. Now add chopped onions into it, mix it well and saute onions on medium-low flame till they turn light golden brown in color.
6. Add chopped garlic cloves and grated ginger into it. Mix it well for about 45 seconds on a medium flame.
7. Add chopped green chilies into it. Mix it well for about 20 seconds on a medium flame.
8. Add turmeric (Haldi) powder, red Kashmiri chili (Degi Mirch) powder and coriander(Dhania) seeds powder to it and mix it well for 15 to 20 seconds on a medium-low flame.
9. Add chopped yardlong beans (Barbati or Boda) and potatoes to it and mix all things well.
10. Add salt as per taste and mix again well. Cook it on a medium flame for about 2-3 minutes stirring continuously on a medium flame.
11. Add water into it. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for about 10-12 minutes on medium-low flame, stirring occasionally till yardlong beans (Barbati or Boda) and potatoes are cooked completely.
12. Add dry Mango powder (Amchoor) in it and mix it well for a minute.
13. Switch off the flame.
Serve this delicious side dish with Roti, Parantha or Poori.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.