Vegetable Taheri recipe with step by step pictures. Taheri is a rice-based dish that exists somewhere between vegetable pulao and vegetable biryani. Therefore, you can say that Taheri is the connecting link between vegetable pulao and biryani.Vegetable Taheri is a delicious, aromatic, easy to make, one-pot rice-based recipe from Uttar Pradesh, India. Vegetable Tahiri is the easiest meal, you can prepare for those lazy weekends when you are in no mood to cook. It’s also perfect for hectic weekdays lunch or dinners when you don’t have much time to cook an elaborated meal. For making Vegetable Taheri you can use a medley of veggies like carrot, beans, potato, cauliflower and green peas etc. In addition, you can, in fact, use all the veggies available in your pantry or you can make it with only 1 or 2 vegetables like you can make potato-peas Taheri, potato-cauliflower Taheri, even you can make the only potato Taheri also. It’s all up to you, which veggies you want to use in your Taheri recipe.
Vegetable Taheri is a wholesome and filling meal in itself. The crunch of vegetables, aroma of spices when team up with the texture of fine basmati rice, makes a sinfully delicious and filling one pot meal to be indulged in. Taheri has its origin from the cuisine of Uttar Pradesh, India. Finally, let’s start making Vegetable Taheri and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for Vegetable Taheri:
Basmati Rice- 2 cup
Potato- 1, cubed
French Beans- 1/2 cup
Capsicum- 1 large, cubed or sliced
Carrot- 1 medium, cubed
Green Peas- 1/2 cup
Onion- 1 big, thinly sliced
For Masala Paste:
Garlic- 5-6 thick cloves
Ginger- 1-inch piece
Onion- 1 medium size
Tomato- 1 medium size (Grind all these into a paste)
Cumin Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cinnamon- 1-inch stick
Black Cardamom- 2
Black Peppercorns- 8-10
Bay Leaves- 2
Whole Dried Red Chilies- 2
Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder- As per your taste
Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt- As per your taste
Sugar- 1/4 teaspoon
Lemon Juice- 1 teaspoon
Water- 4.5 cup
Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 2 tablespoon
Method of making Vegetable Taheri:
1. First of all, wash, clean and chop all the vegetables and keep them aside. Also, soak all the veggies in water so that they will retain their freshness.
2. Wash rice with water at least 2-3 times or till you can see almost clear water. Soak cleaned rice in sufficient water for 30 minutes.
3. Take out all the whole spices required to make veg Taheri on a plate.
4. Heat ghee in a wide mouthed and heavy bottomed pan or pressure cooker. When ghee is hot enough add all the whole spices in it and mix well. Saute them over low flame till fragrant.
5. Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients listed under “Masala Paste” into a fine paste using an electric grinder. You can also do this manually by using an electric grinder will be convenient and will reduce time also.
6. Add this masala paste to the pan and saute over medium flame till it is perfectly roasted and starts releasing ghee from its sides.
7. When it’s done add thinly sliced onion in it and mix well.
8. Cook it over medium flame until onion turns golden and translucent.
9. Add all the powdered spices except garam masala powder and mix well.
10. Add all the vegetables to it and mix well.
11. Season the veggies with salt and mix well. Close the lid of the pan and if using pressure cooker then close the lid loosely without putting on the weight. Cook the veggies for 10 minutes or till they are 3/4th done.
12. Remove the lid a and add soaked rice to it.
13. Add lemon juice to it. Adding lemon juice improves the texture of rice and helps in keeping each rice grain separate, what we call Khila Khila Chawal in Hindi.
14. Also, add some sugar to it. Adding sugar helps in retaining the natural colors of vegetables.
15. Mix all the ingredients very well. Be gentle while mixing else rice and vegetables may break.
16. Add garam masala powder and mix well.
17. Lastly, add water, mix well and close the lid of the pan and cook over medium flame for 5-7 minutes or till water dries up. If using a pressure cooker then after closing the lid, put the weight on and cook for just one whistle over medium flame. Cooking time may also variate as per your rice variety.
18. Turn off the gas and allow the pressure to escape of its own. Open the lid and give Taheri a gentle stir. Give a standing time of two minutes and your Taheri is ready to serve. Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves and serve it with a dollop of ghee (optional) and coriander chutney and raita. Enjoy..!!
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.