Veg Manchurian Recipe with step by step pictures
As a kid, I always thought of Chinese food as Veg Manchurian and Hakka Noodles. Later when I started my food journey, I came to know that Veg Manchurian Recipe is an Indian Chinese dish. So, If you visit China and ask for a Manchurian dish, you will be utterly disappointed. Manchurian is developed in India, specifically in Kolkata by a Nelson Wang, when he was asked to prepare something which is not on the menu of “China Garden” Restaurant. Presenting below my take on this Indian Chinese fusion dish. Posted below Veg Manchurian recipe with step by step pictures. Do try 🙂
Veg Manchurian Recipe Ingredients:
For Manchurian Balls
1/2 portion of a Cabbage or 1 and 1/2 cups of roughly chopped Cabbage (Patta Gobhi)
Note: Clean the Cabbage before chopping it
1 cup of cleaned, peeled and roughly chopped Carrots
1/2 cup of cleaned and roughly chopped French Beans
1/4 cup of roughly chopped Spring Onions green ( approximately green leaves of 2 Spring Onions)
1/4 cup of Capsicum, cleaned, deseeded and roughly chopped
2 Green Chilies, finely chopped
1/4th cup of all-purpose Flour (Maida)
3 tablespoon of Corn Flour
Salt as per taste
Oil for frying the Manchurian balls (I have used refined Sunflower Oil)
1 tablespoon of Cornflour along with 1/2 cup of Water
2 tablespoon of Sesame Oil ( You can use any other refined Oil)
1 and 1/2 tablespoon of Ginger, cleaned, peeled and chopped
1 and 1/2 tablespoon of Garlic, cleaned, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoon of Tomato Ketchup
2 tablespoon of Red Chili Sauce
2.5 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
Salt as per taste
Bulbs of two Spring Onion Greens
1 teaspoon of fresh coarsely grounded Black Pepper powder
Half of the medium-sized Capsicum, roughly chopped
1/4 cup of chopped Cabbage
Veg Manchurian Recipe Method:
1. If you have a Chopper than its great. Just put diced Cabbage and Carrots pieces into the chopper.
2. Chop it till both Cabbage and Carrots are very finely chopped as shown in the below picture. However, you don’t have a Chopper, then just grate them both using a good hand Grater.
3. Now put Spring Onions Greens, Green Chilies and French Beans in the Chopper.
4. Run the Chopper till they are finely chopped as shown in the picture below. Again, if you do not have a Chopper then, you need to finely chop them using a sharp knife.
5. Now put finely chopped or grated vegetable mix in a bowl and mix it well with your hand for at least a minute.
6. Extract all the vegetable juices out of the mixture by squeezing it using your hand as shown in figure. This is a very important step for making your Manchurian balls dense and rich.
7. Extract all the juices out of the vegetable mixture and discard the juice.
8. In the vegetable mixture add all purpose flour (Maida), Cornflour and Salt as per taste.
9. Mix all thing together to form a dough and make Lemon sized balls out of it as shown in the picture below.
10. In a heated Pan/Wok with Oil in it. Gently put a Manchurian ball and check that its not breaking. The ball will start getting fried without crumbling as shown in the picture. (If ball breaks, then immediately take it out and add a tablespoon of Cornflour, mix it well and repeat the process again)
11. Now after checking a Manchurian ball, put more balls in the frying pan on medium heat.
12. Fry them in medium slow heat till they turn brown from both the sides.
13. Take them out in a plate with tissue, which will absorb the excess oil out of them.
14. Lets start the gravy preparation by mixing 1/2 a cup of Water into a tablespoon of Cornflour.
15. Whisk them together to form the mixture of Cornflour and Water. Keep it aside.
16. Now in a heated Pan with Sesame Oil in it ( you can use regular refined oil if Sesame Oil is not available with you), Put chopped Ginger and Garlic. Saute them for 20 seconds on high flame.
17. Add chopped white bulbs of Spring Onions into it. Mix it well and saute it on high flame for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
18. Add chopped Capsicum and Cabbage into it and again, saute them for about 30 seconds on high flame.
19. Now add Soy Sauce, Tomato Ketchup and Red Chili Sauce into it and give it a quick mix.
20. Pour Cornflour and Water mix into the Pan and mix it well.
21. Add crushed Black Pepper Corns into it along with Salt as per taste. Be careful while adding the salt as Soy Sauce already contains Salt. Better taste the gravy and add the Salt if required. Bring it to a quick boil and switch the flame to low. You can add a 1/4 teaspoon of Vinegar (optional) into the gravy at this point. But its optional as I don’t like much sour taste Manchurian gravy.
22. Put fried Manchurian balls into the gravy.
23. Lightly mix them so that all the Manchurian balls are covered with the gravy and switch off the flame.
Super yummy vegetarian Manchurian is ready to be gobbled with a bowl of Rice or Noddles. You can directly serve them over rice in a bowl.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.