Indian style stir fried Turnips or as we say in Hindi Shalgam ki Sabzi is very simple and easy to make vegetarian side dish. Turnip is one of the very high nutritional vegetable, which has very low calorie count and contains good amount of Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
Research has shown that it contains a category of phytonutrients called as indoles which may reduce the risk of certain Cancer. All the parts of Turnip is edible but I love the root part which I use to prepare a very spicy stir fry dish. Many people has lot of doubts and confusion about Turnips taste, trust me it really taste good and as mentioned above has many nutritional benefits. Try this below recipe and you will certainly start to enjoy Turnips.
4 turnips (Shalgam)
5 tablespoon of refined Oil ( I have used Sunflower Oil)
1 teaspoon of Cumin (Jeera) seeds
1/4 teaspoon of Asafoetida (Hing) powder
2 medium size Onions, cleaned, peeled and chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric (Haldi) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder
1/2 teaspoon of dry Mango powder (Amchoor)
1/2 teaspoon of Coriander (Dhania) powder
1/4 teaspoon of Garam Masala powder
Salt as per taste
1. Clean and peel all the Turnips and then dice them into medium small pieces as shown in below picture.
2. In a heated pan with Oil in it, put Cumin (Jeera) seeds and Asafoetida(Hing) powder and mix it for 10 seconds or till Cumin seeds turn Brown in color.
3. Now add the chopped Onions to it and saute it till it turn Golden Brown in color.
4. Add diced Turnips (Shalgam) into it and mix it well. Cover the pan with the lid and cook it over medium slow heat, stirring them occasionally till they are cooked or almost cooked.
5. Now add Turmeric (Haldi) powder, Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder, dry Mango powder (Amchoor), Coriander seeds ( Dhania) powder, Garam Masala powder and Salt into it and mix it well. Cook it on slow flame for another 2-3 minutes till all get mixed into each other.
Super easy and very tasty Turnip Stir Fry aka Shalgam ki Sabzi ready. Garnish it with fresh chopped Green Coriander and serve it with Indian flat breads such as Roti, Parantha or Poori. Do try this recipe of nutritional power house vegetable or Turnip and tell me whether you liked it or not.