Shalgam Ka Paratha is a yummy, easy and interesting way of adding Turnips or Shalgam in your diet. Shalgam is one such vegetable that is generally avoided by most of the peoples and especially kids. This time when my hubby went to the vegetable market he bought 1 kg Shalgam with him since I am not a big fan of Shalgam and generally avoid to add it in my diet, it was a big question for me how to utilize these 1 kgs of Shalgam.
Suddenly I decided to make paratha out of it, the first thought that came to my mind was if we can make paratha of Radish, Carrots, Beets etc then why not of Turnips aka Shalgam. So I went into my kitchen, grated the turnips and end up with making spicy, crispy and delicious Shalgam ka paratha. Even my 3 years kiddo and hubby loved these parathas very much.
So let’s start making Shalgam Ka Paratha and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Turnips (Shalgam)- 2 cups (peeled and grated)
Oil- 1 tablespoon + extra for cooking
Cumin seeds (Jeera)- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Ginger- 1-inch piece (finely grated)
Green Chilies- 2, finely chopped
Salt- As per your taste
Coriander Powder- 2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves- 2 tablespoons (Finely chopped)
Whole Wheat Flour- 2 cups
Water- 1.5 cups
Salt- 1/2 teaspoon
Oil/Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 1 teaspoon
1. Combine all the ingredients in the dough and knead a soft dough. Keep the dough aside and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add cumin and asafoetida in it.
2. Add ginger and finely chopped green chilies in it. Mix well and saute until the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
3. Add grated Shalgam and mix well. Season it with a little salt and cook it over medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
4. Add remaining salt, coriander powder, garam masala powder and cook until all the water in the Shalgam is evaporated and the Shalgam is completely dry.
5. Add green coriander leaves and mix well. Cook for 2 more minutes and then turn the flame off.
6. Stuffing is ready to be filled in paratha. Allow it to cool down to room temperature before filling in the dough.
7. Now take a small ball size amount from the dough and stuff Shalgam mixture in it.
8. Bring all the edges together, seal them and dust it with some flour.
9. Roll out the dough into a circular shape using a rolling pin.
10. Heat a girdle and cook paratha over it on a medium flame using butter, till brown spots start appearing from both sides.
11. Apply some oil or butter and cook again from both sides.
12. Delicious, crispy outside and soft inside Shalgam Ka Paratha is ready. Serve it with curd and any pickle or dip of your choice.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.