Shahi Paneer is one of the most popular recipes of Paneer in North India. It is a prepared by adding paneer in a thick gravy made up of cream, tomatoes, dry fruits and various spices, as a result it is a creamy, aromatic, mildly sweet gravy with soft and melt in the mouth paneer cubes in it.Shahi means Royal so verbally Shahi Paneer means Fresh Cheese in a royal gravy of cream, dry fruits, freshly grounded spices and lots more. It is a traditional recipe that has been followed by generations and is one of the most popular and significant recipes of the North Indian cuisine. Shahi Paneer is a rich paneer dish that is apt to serve on special occasions to make them more special. This Shahi Paneer recipe is perfect for a dinner party and would leave your guests licking their fingers also and they will definitely crave for more. As it is mildly spiced so Shahi Paneer is always a big hit for children who don’t prefer many spices in their food. You can also call it a Kids Friendly Paneer Recipe.
In this recipe I have only added Cashews, Almonds, and Melon Seeds but if you want you can also add Raisins in it. I avoid adding raisins as they impart their sweet flavor in the recipe. So let’s start making Shahi Paneer and here is the step by step recipe with pictures:
Fresh Cheese (Paneer)- 250 gms, cut into cubes
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Fresh Cream – 1/2 cup
Butter- 1 tablespoon
Onion- 2, sliced
Tomatoes- 3, chopped
Ginger- 1-inch piece, chopped
Garlic- 4-5 cloves, chopped
Green Chilies- 1-2, chopped
Cinnamon (Dalchini)- 1-inch stick
Cloves (Laung)- 4
Black Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)- 1
Green Cardamom (Choti Elaichi)- 2
Cumin (Jeera)- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder (Haldi)- 1/4 teaspoon
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt- As per your taste
Cashew (Kaju)- 1/4 cup
Almonds (Badam)- 2 tablespoon
Melon Seeds (Magaj Ke Beej)- 2 tablespoon
Saffron (Kesar)- Few strands
1. Blanch the dry fruits and keep them aside. When they cool down puree them using a hand blender or electric mixer.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add ginger and garlic in it. Saute over low flame till the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes away.
3. Add onion and green chilies and mix well. Saute till onion are golden brown in color and raw aroma goes away.
4. Add tomatoes and mix well. Cook over low flame till tomatoes are soft and tender and later puree them.
5. Meanwhile, dry roast all the whole spices over a low flame till a nice aroma starts coming out. Keep them aside to cool down.
6. With the help of a mortar and pestle crush the whole spices into a fine powder.
7. Heat butter in the same pan with 1 teaspoon oil.
8. Add tomato puree using a strainer so that no lumps or seeds are there and as a result, you will get a silky smooth gravy.
9. Simmer the tomato puree for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Add dry fruits puree using a strainer again.
11. Mix the dry fruits puree into the tomato puree well and allow it to simmer for next 2-3 minutes. You will see a nice smooth gravy with a beautiful color. This is how it will look after 3 minutes of slow cooking.
12. Add fresh cream to it and mix well. Allow it to cook over medium flame for 2 minutes.
13. Add all the powdered spices except salt and mix well.
14. Add water to adjust the thickness of gravy Season with salt and mix well.
15. Add the grounded whole spices powder in it. As you will add this powder the gravy will become very aromatic and full of flavors.
16. Now close the lid and allow this gravy to simmer for at least 5-7 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the lid and add paneer pieces into it and mix well.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.
HAPPY COOKING AND ENJOY EATING…..!!!