Seviyan ka Zarda aka Meethi Seviyan aka Seviyan Ka Meetha is the most delicious and delicate recipe of Sevai. It is rich, creamy, moderately sweet and delicious dessert that is an important recipe for Eid celebrations and other celebratory occasions.For my family, Seviyan Ka Zarda is not restricted for any special occasion or function. It is so much cherished by me and my husband and I make it very frequently. Even my kiddo loves it so much and calls it Red Halwa. I learned the recipe of Seviyan Ka Zarda from my neighbor Khan Aunty when I was in my late teens. I use to observe the recipe very carefully when she makes it and that is how I started making Seviyan Ka Zarda of my own. So I dedicate this recipe of Seviyan Ka Zarda to my Khan Aunty.Seviyan ka Zarda does not require any special ingredient or any tedious technique but a practice of one or two times may be required in some cases. It’s an absolute treat for your taste buds, eyes and nose as well. You just can’t have enough of it. If you are using pre-roasted Sevai then you may skip toasting the Sevai in ghee, however, I toast the pre-roasted Sevai also in ghee along with the cloves. It gives a rich aroma and also enhances the texture and taste of the Sevai.
In this recipe I have only used almonds, raisins, melon seeds and Chirongi though you can use any dry-fruits of your choice, feel free to add any dry fruit. Also, I have not garnished it with edible silver foil, however, you can freely use it in your recipe if you want. Also if you want a more intense color then you can also add synthetic edible orange color, but I always avoid adding any synthetic color in my recipes. That’s why I have added saffron in my recipe of Seviyan Ka Zarda. It gave it a nice color, taste, and aroma as well.So come and indulge yourself in this rich and delicate Seviyan Ka Zarda. Here is the step by step recipe with pictures:
Ingredients for making Seviyan Ka Zarda:
Fine Sevai- 200 gms
Sugar- 1 cup
Water- 1 cup
Milk- 1 cup (full fat)
Fresh Cream- 3/4 cup
Ghee/Clarified Butter- 2 tablespoon
Saffron- 10-15 strands (soaked in 1 tbsp lukewarm milk)
Almonds- 1/4 cup, finely chopped + reserve few for garnishing
Raisins- 1/4 cup
Melon Seeds- 1/4 cup
Chirongi- 1/4 cup
Cardamom Powder- 1 teaspoon
Kewra Water- 3-4 drops
Silver Foil- Optional (I haven’t used it)
Orange Food Color- A pinch, optional (I haven’t used it)
Method for making Seviyan Ka Zarda:
1. Heat ghee in a kadhai or pan and add cloves in it. Saute the cloves over low flame till they get light brown in color and start releasing its aroma, it may take a minute or more. Now add Sevai in it and mix well. Saute for 1-2 minutes over low-medium flame.
2. Take out the Sevai on a kitchen paper to absorb excess ghee.
3. In another pan add sugar and water, mix well and make a sugar syrup of one string consistency.
4. Add saffron threads in the sugar syrup and mix well.
5. Now add cardamom powder and mix well.
6. Keep the sugar syrup boiling over low-medium flame stirring occasionally till the right consistency is achieved. Now transfer the sugar syrup into the same kadhai in which we have roasted the Sevai.
7. Add the dry fruits into the sugar syrup and mix well.
8. Add Sevai and mix well. Keep cooking over medium flame stirring continuously.
9. Add milk into the Sevai and mix well.
10. Add fresh cream and mix well. Also, add kewra water and mix again.
11. Cook the Sevai further for next 2-3 minutes over a low-medium flame and then turn the gas off. Garnish with finely sliced almonds. Serve hot and enjoy.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.
1. You can increase or decrease the quantity of sugar in this recipe as per your requirement and taste.
2. If you want a more intense color in the recipe then you can add synthetic food color also, though I have not added it in my recipe.
3. If you want you can also garnish it with the edible silver foil, though I have not added it in my recipe.
4. If you are using pre-roasted Sevai then you can skip adding Sevai in ghee and simple temper cloves in 1 teaspoon of ghee and directly add the Sevai in the sugar syrup. Rest of the procedure will be same.