Sabudana Thalipeeth can be considered as healthy version Sabudana Vada as it contains less or Zero Oil. Thalipeeth is Marathi (Western Indian) style multigrain flat bread and Sabudana Thalipeeth is a kind of flat bread or Thalipeeth which is made during fasting or for an evening snack. I love the crunchy and yummy taste of this flat bread which is very filling and delicious to eat. Presenting below step by step recipe with pictures of Sabudana Thalipeeth, do try :-).
Sabudana Thalipeeth Ingredients:
1 cup of Sabudana (Tapioca Sago)
2 medium sized Potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated
1/4 cup of chopped fresh Green Coriander (Hara Dhania)
1/4 cup of roasted Peanuts
1 teaspoon of roasted Cumin seeds (Jeera) powder
1 teaspoon of Red Chilli flakes
Rock Salt as per taste, if you are not making it for fasting, you can add normal Salt too
Oil for greasing ( I have used refined Sunflower Oil)
Sabudana Thalipeeth Method:
1. Sabudana needs to be soaked for minimum of 10 hours, better if you do it overnight. Take 1 Cup of Sabudana in a large bowl and add water to it till it exactly reaches the top layer of Sabudana in the bowl (This step is very important), Cover it and leave it aside for minimum of 10 hours. After 10 or more hours, Sabudana or Tapioca Sago should be swollen and are ready. To check, pick few Sabudana or Tapioca Sago (pearls) and press them lightly using Thumb and Index fingers. They should get mashed easily as shown in figure below.
2. Take soaked Sabudana along with grated boiled Potatoes, Red Chilli flakes, roasted Cumin (Jeera) seeds powder, Rock Salt as per taste, chopped green Chillies and chopped Green Coriander in a large bowl.
3. Mix it well and knead it like flour so that all things get gelled into each other as shown below in the picture.
4. Coarsely ground roasted Peanuts in a grinder. Do not make a fine powder of Peanuts. You may use Mortar and Pestle or Stone Grinder to coarsely ground the peanuts.
5. Add the roasted Peanut powder into the Sabudana dough and mix it well to form the Sabudana Thalipeeth dough.
6. Take some water in a bowl for preparing the Thalipeeth.
7. Now take a large transparent plastic sheet and wet its surface by applying Water using your hands.
8. Now wet your right hand with Water.
9. Take some Sabudana Thalipeeth dough, roll it as a ball of large Lemon size as shown in the picture below.
10. Place the ball on the wet transparent sheet and start pressing it with your hand such that it forms a round circle of 4-5 inch diameter.
11. Using your Index finger make a hole in the center of the dough circle.
12. The hole should be the size of your Index finger and transparent sheet should be visible in hole area as shown in the picture below.
13.Now pick Thalipeeth using the transparent plastic sheet in your left hand and gently flip it into your right hand and remove the plastic sheet completely as shown in the picture below.
14. Gently put the Sabudana Thalipeeth into a heated and greased non-stick Pan from your right hand.
15. Pour some Oil in the hole, set the flame of the stove to medium and allow the Sabudana Thalipeeth to cook completely from the side facing the bottom of the Pan. For this, cover the Pan with a lid also for a minute or two. This step is very important as if you try to flip the Thalipeeth early then it will get a break or tear down.
16. Once cooked, flip it to the other side and let it cook again for 3-4 minutes on medium flame. Once cooked, take it out from the Pan.
17. Repeat step 6 to step 16 for the remaining dough to make delicious Sabudana Thalipeeth.
Super yummy and delicious Sabudana Thalipeeth can be served with Chutneys of your choice. If you are preparing it for fasting then you can have it with chutneys which are specially made for fasting. Otherwise, it goes very well with Yogurt, Garlic Chutney, and Green Chilies. Do try to make this tasty snacks from Maharashtra region.
Also, do subscribe our YouTube Channel by clicking on subscribe button for delicious recipe videos.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.