Rava Upma recipe with step by step pictures
Rava Upma, today has become a national dish in India, thanks to the availability of its core ingredients across India and no frill steps require to prepare it. You will find lot of variations in Upma’s ingredients from region to region. Upma believes to be originated by linking two Tamil origin words namely Uppu (salt) and Maavu (flour), hence Uppuma(vu). Its is also known as Uppittu in Kannada and Uppindi in Telugu. I love this simple filling and healthy South Indian comfort food which tastes divine and its smooth and soft texture totally satisfy my hunger needs. I love to have my Rava Upma with a cup of coffee anytime during the day. But usually its made in breakfast and served with Ghee/Sugar/Banana etc. Presenting below my take on Rava Upma. Its simple but delightful. Do try :-).
Rava Upma Ingredients:
Semolina or Sooji/Suji/Rava – 1 cup
Clarified butter or Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Mustard seeds (Sarson ke daane) – 1 teaspoon
Bengal gram split and skinned (Chana Dal) – 1 teaspoon
Black gram skinned and split (Dhuli Urad Daal) – 1 teaspoon
Fresh curry leaves – 1 sprig
Green chilies – 2
Cashew nuts ( Kaju) – 8 to 10
Onion – 1 medium sized, cleaned, peeled and chopped
Carrot – 1/4th cup peeled, cleaned and chopped (optional)
Fresh or frozen green peas – 1/4th cup (optional)
Water – 2 and 1/4th cups
Salt- As per taste
Rava Upma Method:
1. Put semolina ( Rava or Sooji) in a heated pan on medium flame.
2. Cook semolina on a medium flame, stirring continuously till aromatic smell starts emanating from the pan, it will take around 2-3 minutes. Make sure that semolina should not be roasted too much. It should not change the color (like golden brown or brown).
3. The purpose of this to make semolina grains lightly roasted so that they are cooked and separated from each other.
4. Now in a heated pan on medium heat, add Ghee or clarified butter. Allow the ghee to get hot enough for tempering.
5. Put black gram skinned and split (Dhuli Urad Daal) and split Bengal gram (Chana Daal) and mustard seeds in heated Ghee, saute them till they turn golden Brown in color and mustard seeds starts crackling in the ghee.
6. Add chopped curry leaves and green chilies into the pan and saute them for 10 second on medium flame.
7. Add cashew nuts (Kaju) into it, saute the mixture for few seconds till Cashews turn light golden brown in color.
8. Add chopped onions into the pan and cook them till they turn golden brown from edges or translucent on a medium flame, stirring occasionally.
9. Now add chopped carrots and green peas, mix all things together and cook them on a medium flame till both peas and carrots are partially cooked. Adding of vegetables are optional, you can skip this if you want your Rava Upma to be more traditional.
10. Add 2 and 1/4th cups of water into it and bring it to a boil on high flame.
11. When water starts boiling, turn the flame to low and add salt as per taste and mix it well.
12. Now start adding roasted semolina (Sooji or Rava) into the pan, in batches. Divide the Semolina into 4-5 batches, and add one batch into the pan and mix it well to form a smooth mixture so that no lump is formed. Repeat this step for all the remaining batches.
13. After adding all the roasted semolina or Rava, stir it continuously for 1/2 minute on low flame.
14. Cover the mixture with a lid and cook it on low flame for about two more minutes.
15. After 2 minutes remove the lid and give a quick stir to the mixture and switch off the flame.
Garnish it with chopped green coriander and serve it with slices of lemon. Delicious and healthy Rava Upma is ready to be enjoyed with hot cup of coffee any time. Do try this simple recipe of Rava Upma 🙂
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.