Rava Dhokla is a deliciously soft and spongy tea time snack made with rava/sooji/semolina and yogurt and usually served with mint-coriander chutney/dip or even with tomato ketchup sometimes. Monsoon is a perfect time to enjoy these delicious and light on stomach tea time snack. This is an easy and quick recipe to make delicious and instant Rava Dhokla.
Dhokla is a very popular Gujarati snack that tastes best when served with green chutney and a cup of hot masala tea. There are many versions of dhokla like Khaman Dhokla, Khatta Dhokla etc. Rava Dhokla is the simplest version of dhokla to make, as no overnight soaking or fermentation is required in this recipe. The recipe I have shared here is very easy to make and I have tried my best to keep the recipe and process very easy to understand and follow. Also, this recipe doesn’t require any fermentation so you can enjoy delicious Rava Dhokla instantly. It is a perfect snack to indulge in if you are fed up with those typical fried and oily snacks.
Making perfectly soft and spongy dhokla is an art and requires some practice and patience too and you may not get the perfect result in your first attempt. But don’t worry and keep practicing as practice not only makes a man perfect, but it also makes a cook perfect…. LOL… So let’s start making Rava Dhokla and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients For Making Rava Dhokla:
Semolina/Rava/Sooji- 1 cup
Yogurt/Dahi- 3/4 cup
Water- 1/2 cup
Fruit Salt/Eno- 1 tablespoon
Ginger- 2-inch piece (make paste)
Green Chilies- 2 (make paste), optional
Salt- As per your taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon + extra for greasing
Mustard Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Green Chilies- 2-3, slit lengthwise or cut diagonally
Curry Leaves- 8-10
Red Chili Powder- As required
Green Coriander Leaves- Few, finely chopped
Freshly Grated Coconut- As required (optional)
Method For Making Rava Dhokla:
1. Let’s start by collecting all the ingredients, required for making Rava dhokla.
2. In a big mixing bowl take semolina and yogurt.
3. Meanwhile using a mortar and pestle crush ginger and green chilies into a semi coarse paste.
4. Add ginger-green chilies paste to semolina and yogurt.
5. Using a spatula mix them well. It will look like a thick cookie dough.
6. Add water and salt to it. Again using a spatula mix it into a smooth batter of pouring consistency. Make sure that batter should be neither too thick and not too thin.
7. Add fruit salt or Eno (Fruit salt) in it and mix well.
8. Keep it aside for 5 minutes to prove. You will see numerous tiny bubbles on the surface of the batter.
9. Meanwhile grease dhokla plate or any container with some oil. I made dhokla in the regular circular cake baking tray.
10. Pour dhokla batter into it and gently tap it on the surface to remove the air bubbles.
11. Place the container or dhokla plate in a steamer/dhokla maker. You can make dhokla in any big vessel or pressure cooker also containing a little water. Just close the lid of the vessel with a little vent to allow the steam to escape and if making in pressure cooker remove the whistle. I made my dhokla in an electric rice cooker.
12. Cook for 15-20 minutes if cooking in an electric steamer or cooker. If cooking on the gas stove then turn the flame to low and then cook it for 15 to 20 minutes. To check whether it is properly cooked or not just insert a toothpick or knife at the center, if it comes out clean then dhokla is cooked. Take the dhokla plates out of the steamer/cooker/dhokla maker and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
13. Carefully remove it from the container and place the cooked dhokla on a plate.
14. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering add Asafoetida to it.
15. Add curry leaves and green chilies to it.
16. Pour this tempering over the cooked dhokla and cut it into squares.
17. Delicious Rava dhokla is ready to serve. Just garnish it with some red chili powder (optional) and serve immediately with some mint-coriander chutney/dip or you can even serve it with tomato ketchup and a cup of hot tea.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.