Poha also known as Aloo Pyaaz Poha or Batata Kanda Poha or Bataka Pauaa is a very popular Maharashtrian and Gujrati breakfast and snack recipe made in almost every home in morning. I have grown up eating poha every other day as breakfast.
Poha is a light breakfast which is very easy and quick to prepare and also light on stomach and easy to digest, yet very healthy and nutritious. Poha can be made with onions or potato or both with onions and potato.
It is a perfect recipe having a perfect balance of all the flavors like salty, sweetness, tang of lemon and hotness of green chilies with exotic aroma and flavor of curry leaves. The best thing about poha is it doesn’t requires any dry or powdered spices other than turmric and still it’s so flavourful and aromatic to resist.
Poha- 2 cups
Peanuts- 1/2 cup
Potatoes- 1 medium sized, boiled and diced
Onions- 1 medium sized, thinly sliced
Green Chilies- 1, finely chopped
Curry Leaves- 8-10
Oil- 2 tablespoon
Black Mustard Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt- As per your taste
Sugar- 1 tablespoon
Lemon Juice- 1 tablespoon
Green Coriander Leaves- for garnishing
1. Soak poha in 2-3 cups of water for 3-4 minutes* (refer notes).
2. Meanwhile slice the onions and dry roast the peanuts till they start cracking. Later peel the peanuts and crush them using a mortar and pestle.
3. Strain the poha in a colander and allow it to dry completely and leave it aside for 5-10 minutes.
4. Heat oil in a kadhai or a pan and add asafoetida and mustard seeds in it and when they start cracking add chopped green chilies and curry leaves in it.
5. Add sliced onion and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium flame till onions turn golden pink.
6. Add diced potatoes and mix well.
7. Add turmeric and salt, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add strained poha and mix well.
10. Add crushed peanuts and mix well.
11. Saute for 2-3 minutes and your poha is ready.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
1. Soaking time of poha depends upon the thickness of poha. My poha was very thick so I soaked them 3-4 minutes, if your poha is thin then reduce the soaking time.
2. You can increase or decrease the sweetness as per your taste by increasing or decreasing the quantity of sugar.
3. You can also garnish your poha with nylon sev if you like.