Plum Chutney is a great Indian condiment that goes well with any kind of meal. There are lots of variations, around the world of this wonderful Plum Chutney. Plums are great source of Vitamin C, Potassium, Vitamin A, Beta-Carotene, Flavanoids, B-Complexes and Vitamin K. They are known for improving your digestive system and immunity. They are also considered good for heart and nervous system.
Plum chutneys taste matures more after a month of its preparation. Its a good idea to prepare and leave it to mature for more than a month in refrigerator. This process enhances its taste more. Anyway, it tastes great also just after its prepared and goes very well with any kind of meal, snack or bread. Traditioanally it is served with Biryani in Muslim weddings and festivals.
2 cups of Plum (Alu Bukhara or Alucha)
1 and 3/4 cups of Sugar
1/2 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup of Raisins (Kishmish)
1/2 cup of deseeded and chopped Dates (Khajoor)
1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds
1 and 1/2 tablespoons of dry Ginger powder (Saunth)
1 tablespoon of Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Salt or as per taste
1 teaspoon of Red Chilli flakes
1/4 teaspoon of Cinnamon powder
1. Wash and clean Plums (Alu Bukhara or Alucha) and put them into a bowl.
2. Clean and remove their seeds by silting them length wise and pulling out the seed. Once deseeded, roughly chop all the slices.
3. Put Plum slices, Sugar and Apple Cider Vinegar in a Pan on a medium flame.
4. Put Raisins and chopped Dates into the Pan.
5. After that Put Mustard seeds and dry Ginger powder (Saunth) into the mixture in Pan.
6. Finally add Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder, Red Chili flakes, Salt and Cinnamon powder into the mixture and mix all the ingredients together.
7. Now cook it on medium high flame till the mixture starts boiling.
9. Once it starts to boil, turn the flame to low. It is really very important to cook chutney on a low flame and stirring it occasionally so that all the flavors get blended into each other.
10. To check whether the Chutney is ready to be stored, run a Spatula (preferably wooden one) across the chutney in the pan. If it forms a Canal or Passage showing bottom of pan for 1-1.5 seconds, then its ready otherwise, try this every minute till you see the base of the pan when you cut across the cooking mixture.
Once its ready as mentioned in above step, bottle it in a sterilized Glass Jar and store it in refrigerator for minimum of 30 days. This will allow it to mature. However, if you like you can have this delicious Plum Chutney straight away and trust me it tastes great with any kind of meal or snack. Enjoy!