Paneer Kofta, yet another Punjabi delicacy of North Indian Cuisine. This recipe gets completed in two steps, first is frying the Paneer Kofta and later making a rich gravy of cashew and tomatoes. The best part of this recipe, just skip making the gravy and you can serve these koftas as a snack also with the dip of your choice.Since I have not used onions and garlic in this recipe to make the gravy so this gravy can also be made during the fasting periods or at times when the majority of people avoid adding onions and garlic in their meals. This is my another delicacy of the No Onion No Garlic Series.For making the Paneer Kofta, I have used homemade Paneer, However, you may also use the store bought or the frozen paneer also, but just remember to thaw the frozen paneer at least 20 minutes before you start cooking.So here is the step by step method of making Paneer Kofta:
For kofta balls:
Fresh Cheese (Paneer)- 100 gm, grated
Potatoes- 2-3, boiled and grated
Green Chilies- 2, finely chopped
Green Coriander Leaves- 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Salt- 1/2 teaspoon
Refined Oil- For deep frying
Tomatoes- 3, medium size (pureed)
Ginger- 1.5-inch piece
Green Chilies- 2, finely chopped
Cashew Nuts- 1/4 cup
Fresh Yogurt (Dahi)- 1/2 cup
Butter- 1.5 tablespoon
Refined Oil- 1 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves- for garnishing
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 2 teaspoon
Fennel Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon
Green Cardamom – 1 (deseeded)
Black Cardamom- 1 (deseeded)
Salt- As per your taste
1. Mix grated paneer, potatoes, salt together and make a soft dough.
2. Add green chilies, coriander leaves, salt in it. Mix well and knead into a soft dough.
3. Make small balls of the desired shape.
4. Deep fry them from both sides till they are golden brown in color.
5. Fry other kofta balls in the same way and keep them aside on a tissue paper to absorb excess oil.
6. Now heat butter and oil in a pan.
7. Take cloves, green cardamom seeds and black cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle and crush into a fine powder.
8. Grind tomatoes, ginger, and green chilies together. Make a smooth puree of it. Add this puree in melted butter.
9. Add asafoetida, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, Kashmiri red chili powder and fennel powder in it. Mix well and cook over medium flame for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Simmer it for next 2-3 minutes till it starts releasing fat. Add crushed cloves- cardamom powder and Kasoori methi to it and mix well.
11. Roast the masala well over medium flame till it becomes dry and starts releasing a nice aroma from it. It generally takes 2-3 minutes.
12. Add cashew paste to it and mix well. Cook over medium flame for 2-3 minutes till the masala paste becomes thick.
13. Add fresh yogurt and mix well.
14. Add water to adjust gravy.
15. Add salt and garam masala in it. Allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
16. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
17. Now pour some gravy on a plate, arrange some kofta balls on it and again top with some gravy. Paneer Kofta is ready to serve. You can enjoy them with Roti, Paratha, Naan or rice.
Also, do subscribe our YouTube Channel by clicking on subscribe button for delicious recipe videos.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.