Nan Khatai recipe with its step by step pictures. Learn how to make delicious Nan Khatai at home.
Nan Khatai is an Indian shortbread, flavored with cardamom and pistachios. This easy to make, light and flaky Nan Khatai will just melt in your mouth. It is an extremely easy recipe of Nan Khatai, that has been tried and tested many times in my kitchen.
Nan Khatai is different from other regular cookies in many ways, like, these are eggless unlike other cookies Secondly, in this recipe chickpea flour and semolina are also added along with the all-purpose flour, unlike, other cookies which are generally made with all purpose flour only.
Nan Khatai is one such recipe that is equally liked by kids and elders as well. So if you are a big fan of this Indian shortbread cookie then you can easily make it at home. Just make a big batch of Nan Khatai and enjoy it with your cup of tea for a couple of days or even weeks too.
So let’s start making Nan Khatai and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients to make Nan Khatai
All Purpose Flour (Maida)- 1 cup
Chickpea Flour/Gram Flour (Besan)- 3 tablespoon
Semolina (Sooji?Rava)- 2 tablespoon
Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 1 cup
Baking Powder- 1 teaspoon
Baking Soda- 1/4 teaspoon
Green Cardamom (Elaichi)- 7-8, deseeded and crushed into coarse powder
Powdered Sugar- 3/4 cup
Pistachios (Pista)- 10-12, blanched an chopped
How to make Nan Khatai
1. Let’s start by collecting and keeping all ingredients in one place. This will not only save our time but will also make our cooking faster.
2. In a big mixing bowl take sugar and clarified butter together.
3. Mix it really well into a smooth mixture. Make sure there should not be any lumps in it. I used an electric beater for this, however, you can do it manually also using a hand beater or whisker.
4. Sieve in all-purpose flour, chickpea/gram flour, semolina, baking powder and baking soda in it.
5. Mix them properly and make a smooth dough of it without using water or milk. Don’t over knead the dough, just mix them together and make a soft dough.
6. Wrap the dough in cling sheet and refrigerate it for 2-3 hours.
7. Grease a baking dish with some clarified butter and keep aside. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and remove the cling wrap. Pinch out a small amount of dough at a time and make a small ball of it. Gently press it with the heels of your palm and place it on a baking tray. Make other balls also in the same way, and arrange them on the baking tray. Now using a knife make the traditional cut marks over the balls.
8. Put crushed cardamom seeds and pistachios over each ball and gently press it with your thumb.
9. Place the baking tray in a pre-heated oven and bake it at 180 degrees C for 10-15 minutes. Please adjust the temperature as per the size and capacity of your oven as you only know your oven better. Don’t over bake your Nan Khatai too much else it will spoil its taste. Take the Nan Khatai out of the oven and allow them to cool down to room temperature over a wire rack and later store them in an airtight container. Crispy Nan Khatai are ready to serve. Tastes best with a cup of hot tea.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.