Nadru ki Yakhni is an ancient Kashmiri dish that has been made by Kashmiri Pandits since ages. The original version does not contain Onions and Garlic. The dish is Yogurt based and aromatic spices are used to give a rich and delicate flavor to this wonderful dish.Nadru is also known as Lotus stem or Kamal Kakadi or Bhain in northern India. Besides Kashmir, Lotus stems are used mostly in the northern region of India in different ways.I have tried to keep this recipe as authentic and ancient as possible. So presenting below Kashmiri Pandit style no onion and no garlic Nadru ki Yakhni (Lotus stems in aromatic Yogurt gravy) recipe below.
2 cups of cleaned, peeled Lotus stem (Nadru or Kamal Kakdi or Bhain) slices
2 cups of Water
1 Bay leaf (Tez Patta)
1/4 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
4 Cloves (Laung)
1 inch of a fresh Ginger slice, cleaned, peeled and diced
3 tablespoon Mustard Oil
1 teaspoon of Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1/2 teaspoon of Asafoetida (Hing) powder
1 and 1/4 cup of fresh Yogurt (Dahi)
2 teaspoon of Red Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder
2 teaspoon of Fennel (Saunf) powder
1 teaspoon of dry Ginger (Saunth) powder
Salt as per taste
1/2 teaspoon of dry Mint leaves (Pudina) powder
1 teaspoon of Caraway seeds (Shahi Jeera)
1. Place washed, cleaned, peeled and diced Lotus stem (Kamal Kakadi/Nadru/Bhain) in warm water for few minutes so that if any traces of dirt inside the slice is present, will get cleaned.
2. Now strain the Lotus stem slices and place them in a Pressure Cooker along with 2 cups of water, a Bay leaf (Tez Patta), Fennel seeds (Saunf), Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi), Cloves (Laung), fresh Ginger slices and Salt as per taste (Just to enough to give salty flavor). Pressure cook them for about ten minutes on medium heat or till you hear 2-3 whistles. Leave it aside for pressure to settle down.
3. Whisk Yogurt (Dahi) in a bowl.
4. In a heated pan, pour Mustard Oil and allow it to get heated on a high flame till oil starts fuming. Switch off the flame and let Mustard Oil get cooled down a bit (This is done to remove the pungent flavor and smell of the Mustard Oil). When oil gets cooled, again switch on the flame on low heat and put Cumin seeds (Jeera) and Asafoetida (Hing) powder into it, mix it well and cook it for 10 seconds on low flame.
5. Now add slowly whisked Yogurt (Dahi) into it on low flame and keep whisking it on low flame for about 3 minutes.
6. Cook Yogurt on a slow flame, stirring occasionally for five more minutes or till it gets thickens.
7. Put Red Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder, Fennel (Saunf) powder and dry Ginger (Saunth) powder into it and mix it well. Cook it about for a minute on a low flame.
8. Put Boiled and strained Lotus seeds ( all whole spices removed from them) into the gravy and cook it on low flame for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Now put Caraway seeds (Shahi Jeera) into a Mortar and Pestle and crush them to form a powder. Also, crush dry Mint (Pudina) leaves in your hand.
10. Put both powdered Caraway seeds (Shahi Jeera) and Mint (Pudina) leaves into it. Mix it well and cook it on slow flame for one more minute.
Super delicious and authentic Kashmiri Pandit style Nadru ki Yakhni is ready to be served with Rice or Roti. Enjoy this flavorsome dish of ancient cuisine.