Moong Dal Dahi Vada recipe with step by step pictures
Since my childhood, I love Moong Dal Dahi Vada which are specially prepared by Mother (Maa), specially in festivals like Holi and Diwali. They are light and taste almost like Dahi Vadas, but are easy to digest compared to Urad Dal based Vadas. Dhuli Moong Dal or split skinned Green Gram is powerhouse of nutrition and has high finer content.Presenting below, my version of this very yummy recipe that I have been eating since I can remember. Do try this wonderful Moong Dal Vada recipe and you are not going to regret it for sure.
Moong Dal Dahi Vada Ingredients:
1 cup of split skinned Green Gram (Dhuli Moong Dal)
1 tablespoon of grated Ginger
1/4 cup of cleaned and chopped fresh Coriander (Hara Dhania)
Salt as per taste
2 finely chopped green Chilies
Oil for frying Vedas (I have used refined Sunflower Oil)
1.5 cups of water/Buttermilk for soaking the Vadas
1.5 cups of fresh Yogurt (Dahi)
1/2 teaspoon of roasted Cumin seeds (Jeera) powder
Black Salt (Kala Namak) as per taste.
Moong Dal Dahi Vada Method:
1. Wash split skinned Green Gram (Dhuli Moong Dal) thrice with water and then soak them in 1.5 cups of water (enough water) for about 2-4 hours.
2. After soaking for about 4 hours, strain the water completely from the skinned Green Gram (Dhuli Moong Dal).
3. Now put the soaked skinned Green Gram (Dhuli Moong Dal) into a grinder and start grinding them, by slowly adding very small amount of Water such that it forms a smooth thick paste. I have added in total 3 tablespoons of Water during the grinding process.
4. Add chopped green Coriander leaves, chopped green Chillies, grated Ginger and Salt as per taste into the Moong Dal paste.
5. Give it a quick whisk such that all ingredients get properly mixed.
6. Heat sufficient Oil (I have used refined Sunflower Oil) in a Pan/Wok. Once heated, take small portion of the batter in your hand and gently put them in oil to form medium sized fritters as shown in the picture below.
7. Fry them in till the side immersed in oil turn light brown in colour, on medium flame.
8. Flip them and cook the other side of Moong Dal Vada’s also. Fry them till they are cooked or turn golden brown in colour from all sides on medium flame.
9. Once cooked, take them out from Pan/Wok.
10. Now put them into a bowl and pour Buttermilk or Water into the balls. I have used Buttermilk but you can very easily replace it water.
11. Keep them immersed in Buttermilk or Water for about 15-20 minutes.
12. After soaking them, take them out, squeeze extra Buttermilk or Water out of them and arrange them in a bowl.
13. In another bowl, put Yogurt and add roasted Cumin seeds (Bhuna Jeera) powder and Black Salt into it and give it a quick whisk.
Put soaked Moong Dal Dahi Vada into it and serve them with Khajoor Imli ki Chutney, some Red Chili powder and roasted cumin seeds powder.
Delicious and super healthy Moong Dal Dahi Vada is a wonderful snack which is loved by your friends and family for sure.
Cheers and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.