Moong Dal Burfi recipe with its step by step pictures.
Moong Dal Burfi is an exotic and healthy sweet dish. It is quick and easy to make and enjoyed by people of all age group in a family. This delicious and easy to make burfi is a treat for your taste buds. The goodness of Dal when combined with the khoya along with the aroma and taste of cardamoms make it really divine and blissful.
Moong Dal Burfi made with split and husked green grams is a soft, delicious and creamy fudge that is easy to make and very addictive too. Trust me it is really easy to make All the hard work and time goes only in roasting the moong dal, as it requires some muscle power. But believe me the end result is so rewarding.
When it comes to sweets and especially when I have to store them during festive seasons I always prefer the dry ones, instead of the juicy ones. This Moong Dal Burfi is one of my personal favorite sweet, with just the right amount of sweetness in it.
Give this Moong Dal Burfi a try as this recipe doesn’t require any fancy or expensive ingredients. It only requires a few staple ingredients that are usually present in our pantry 24×7 except the khoya/mawa, but it can be either purchased or made at home easily.
So let’s start making Moong Dal Burfi and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients to make Moong Dal Burfi
Soaked Moong Dal (Split and husked green gram)- 1 1/4 cup
Evaporated Milk (Khoya/Mawa)- 1 1/4 cup
Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 3/4 cup
Sugar- 1 cup (adjust as per your taste)
Green Cardamom (Elaichi)- 7-8 (Powdered)
Silver Foil- As required (To garnish)
Method to make Moong Dal Burfi
1. Soak the Moong Dal in sufficient water for 4-5 hours or overnight. Later, using an electric grinder, grind it into a thick smooth paste.
2. Heat ghee in a non stick pan and add the moong dal paste in it.
3. Roast the moong dal over low flame, stirring ocassionally.
4. This is how moong dal will look after being cooked for 20-25 minutes.
5.Keep roasting the moong dal over low flame at this stage keep stirring the moong dal frequently. This is how it will look after 40-45 minutes of roasting (Total 45 minutes). Now you can see the ghee separating from the dal,
6.Keep roasting the dal for next 5-10 minutes over low flame.
7. Turn the flame off and take it out in a pan to cool down.
8. Now in the same pan heat the evaporated milk (khoya/mawa) over low flame.
9. Roast it over low flame till it is nice golden in color.
10. Meanwhile, make a sugar syrup of one string consistency.
11. Add roasted dal to the evaporated milk.
12. Mix them well and add cardamom powder to it.
13. Add the sugar syrup and stir it quickly so that no lumps are formed.
14. Keep stirring the dal mix. To check the consistency, just scrape the spatula and if the dal separates along with the direction of the spatula, it’s ready.
15. Grease a plate and transfer the dal mix to it.
16. Carefully place aluminium foil over it.
17. Mark impressions on it. Allow it to cool down to the room temperature and then refrigerate it for 2-3 hours.
18. Delicious Moong Dal Barfi is ready. Cut into pieces and serve.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.