Mirchi Vada recipe with the step by step pictures. Learn how to make the famous Rajasthani Mirchi Vada at home.
Mirchi Vada or Rajasthani Mirchi Vada is a popular street food and a staple breakfast recipe of Rajasthan. In fact, it is often referred as Jodhpuri Mirchi Vada also. In general, you can also call them stuffed chili pakode/fritters. Mirchi Vada is a hot and spicy snack, made by stuffing the green chilies with a spicy potato mix, coating it with gram flour batter and ultimately deep frying it. It tastes best when served with either date and tamarind chutney or mint and coriander chutney, otherwise, you can serve it with tomato ketchup also.
The most important thing while making the Mirchi Vada is the selection of green chilies. Always select Bhavnagri Chilies for making Mirchi Vada, because they are not that much hot and are juicy and are mildly hot in flavor, and so, they are a perfect choice to make Mirchi Vada. If Bhavnagri Chilies are not available you can also use the green chilies that we take for making the stuffed green chili pickle.
So let’s start making Mirchi Vada and here is the detailed, step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for making Mirchi Vada
- Bhavnagri Chilies – 10 or 12
- Oil for deep frying
- Boiled Potatoes- 4
- Cashew Nuts- 1.5 tablespoons (chopped and fried till golden)
- Raisins- 1 tablespoon
- Ginger- 1 teaspoon (paste or finely grated)
- Cumin Seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Fennel- 1 tablespoon
- Asafoetida- 1/8 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi)- 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchoor)- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder- 1.5 teaspoons
- Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Salt- To Taste
- Green Coriander Leaves- 3 teaspoons (chopped)
- Gram Flour (Besan)- 1 cup
- Salt- To taste
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain)- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking Soda- 1/4 teaspoon
Method of making Mirchi Vada
1. Wash, clean, and pat dry the green chilies.
2. Keep all the ingredients handy, at one place. It will reduce cooking time and effort.
3. Slit the green chilies from the center, keeping the stems intact and discard the seeds.
4. Heat oil in a pan and saute the chopped cashews in it till golden brown.
5. Add raisins in it and saute it for 30 seconds. Take them out on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
6. In the same oil add asafoetida, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and saute them.
7. Add ginger and saute till raw aroma disappears.
8. Add boiled potatoes in it.
9. Mash them using a potato masher.
10. Add turmeric powder, salt, chili powder, dry mango powder, garam masala, coriander powder and cumin powder in it.
11. Mix them well. Check the seasonings and add more if required.
12. Add fried cashew nuts and raisins in it.
13. Add chopped coriander leaves in it. Mix all the ingredients and cook it over medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
14. Turn the flame off. Take out the potato mix in a plate and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
15. Fill the chilies with the prepared potato stuffing and keep them aside. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan for deep frying the Mirchi Vada.
16. Next, in a mixing bowl take gram flour and add turmeric powder, salt, baking soda and carom seeds in it.
17. Add water as required and make a smooth batter.
18. Dip the stuffed chilies in it and coat them completely with the batter.
19. Deep fry them in hot oil.
20. Fry them till they are golden brown in color.
21. Finally, serve hot with any Chutney of your choice and enjoy. Tastes best when served with a cup of hot tea.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.