Steamed Methi Muthia recipe with step by step pictures
Steamed Methi Muthia is a non fried Gujarati snack which is very delicious and healthy to eat. Muthia basically means fist, which is an action where fingers of hand are bends towards palm and are tightly held. There are two types of Muthia snacks, one is deep fried where shape of Muthia is like of an object which is place inside the fist and, another is steamed version. Fried version is usually made as a dumpling to be served with famous Gujarati side dishes such as Undhiyu or Shaak. But, the more healthier one is made by steaming the Muthia rolls and then tempering them with spices. Muthia is generally prepared as a tea time snack.
Muthia can be made by incorporating different kinds of seasonal vegetables such as bottle gourd (Lauki), spinach, cabbage, amaranth leaves and of course, fenugreek (Methi) leaves. Fenugreek or Methi Muthia are delicious and specially considered very good for your overall health because of innumerable health benefits of fenugreek leaves. Methi Muthia is a great way of incorporating fenugreek leaves in your little ones diet as these dumplings taste amazing. Presenting below step by step recipe with pictures of steamed Methi Muthia, do try 🙂
Steamed Methi Muthia Ingredients:
Fenugreek (Methi) leaves – 2.5 cups (cleaned Methi leaves, plucked from stem)
Gram flour (Besan) – 3/4th cup
Whole wheat flour (Gehun ka Atta) – 1/4th cup
Rice flour (Chawal ka Atta) – 2 tablespoons
Green chilies – 2
Ginger cube, peeled and cleaned – 2 inch long
Turmeric (Haldi) powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Red chili flakes (Kuti Lal Mirch) – 1 teaspoon, you can also use red chili powder in place of flakes
Granulated sugar – 2 teaspoon
Salt – As per taste
Cumin seeds (Jeera) powder – 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Refined oil – 3 tablespoons ( I have used refined groundnut oil)
Baking soda ( Soda-bi-Carb/ Khane ka Soda/Meetha Soda) – 1/4th teaspoon
Water – As needed (I have used around 2.5 tablespoons) for kneading the dough
Refined oil – 2 tablespoons (I have used refined groundnut oil)
Mustard seeds (Sarson) – 1/2 teaspoon
White sesame seeds (Safed Til) – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) powder – A pinch
Fresh green curry leaves – 1 sprig
Steamed Methi Muthia Method:
1. In a bowl put gram flour (Besan), whole wheat flour (Gehun ka Atta) and rice flour (Chawal ka Atta).
2. Add salt, sugar, turmeric (Haldi) powder, red chili flakes (Kuti Lal Mirch), cumin seeds (Jeera) powder and baking soda ( Soda-bi-Carb/ Khane ka Soda/Meetha Soda) into it and mix all things well.
3. Now, we need to make a paste of both ginger and green chilies. To make a fine paste, put them in a Mortar and Pestle.
4. Pound them, till they form a paste, as shown in picture below.
5. Now add refined oil, green chilies and ginger paste into the mixture. Mix all things well.
6. Now add water to knead the dough, I have added around 2.5 tablespoon of water into it.
7. Clean and wash fenugreek or Methi leaves and strain the excess water. Then, roughly chop them and add them to the flour and spice mixture.
8. Using your hand, knead the mixture.
9. Knead it to form a soft dough. It should not be too hard and too soft.
10. Rub oil in your hand and roll the dough to make two equal sized rolls of same size as shown in the picture below. You can divide the rolls further if your steamer is of smaller size. My steamer was sufficient for two rolls. Steam the rolls on medium low heat for about 15 -17 minutes or till Methi Muthia rolls are cooked.
11. Once cooked completely, take them out from the steamer and allow them to cool down completely.
12. Cut the rolls with a sharp knife into 2-3 cm thick slices as shown below.
13. In a large heated pan with two tablespoons of oil, put mustard seeds (sarson) and Asafoetida (Hing) powder. Saute it for ten seconds on medium heat.
14. Now add white sesame seeds (Safed Til) into it, mix it for 10 seconds on medium flame.
15. Add fresh curry leaves into it and mix it well for another 10 seconds on medium flame.
16. Now put sliced Methi Muthia rolls into the heated pan and toast them on medium flame.
17. Evenly toast them from both side such that a light brown crust is formed on the surface of both sides of Methi Muthia rolls.Super healthy and delicious Methi Muthia is ready to serve. Serve them with chutney of your choice.
Cheers and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.