Matar Paneer is a very popular vegetarian North Indian gravy based paneer dish consisting of green peas and paneer in a tangy tomato based sauce, seasoned with garam masala and various other spices. Matar Paneer is a must have dish in any North Indian food joint or restaurant also it is very popular in any North Indian festive or celebratory occasion.
For making Matar Paneer gravy, I first sauteed onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and green chilies in the oil, then pureed them using a hand blender. Again transferred the puree into the pan and seasoned it with spices. Lastly peas and cubed paneer are added in it. So easy it is to make.
Here I am presenting a very simple and easy version of Matar Paneer recipe. Though this recipe may not be a restaurant style but it is a simple, easy to make homemade dish to relish with roti, paratha or rice. I have only added cream in it (that too is optional and you can skip adding it if you don’t want to add calories in it), however to make it more rich, heavy and creamy you can also add cashewnuts paste in it. But i never add cashew paste in my matar Paneer recipe.
So let’s start making Matar Paneer. Here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Fresh Cheese (Paneer)- 200 grams
Green Peas- 1 cup
Oil- 2 tablespoon
Fresh Cream- 2 tablespoon
Water- 1.5 cup or as required
Salt- As per your taste
Green Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya)- For garnishing (optional)
Ingredients for Masala Paste:
Onion- 2 medium, roughly chopped
Garlic- 6-7 cloves, roughly chopped
Ginger- 1.5 inch piece, roughly chopped
Tomatoes- 3 medium, roughly chopped
Green Chilies- 2, roughly chopped
Dry and Whole Spices:
Cinnamon (Dalchini)- 2-3 small sticks
Coriander Seeds- 1.5 teaspoon
Cloves (Laung)- 4-5
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- 1 teaspoon
Bay Leaf- 1 big or 2 small
Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
1. Heat oil in a pan and add bay leaf and roughly chopped garlic in it (I forgot to add bay leaf in this step so added it later). Saute over medium flame till the raw aroma of garlic goes away.
2. Add ginger, green chilies and onions in it. Mix well and saute over medium flame for 1-2 minutes or till onions become translucent and the raw aroma goes away.
3. Add tomatoes and mix well. Season with little salt and cook over medium flame till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
4. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool down. Later puree it using a hand blender or electric mixer.
5. Mean while take out all the whole spices in a plate.
6. Dry roast all the whole spices on low flame till they start releasing their aroma.
7. Grind them to a fine powder using a electric mixer, you can also do this using a mortar and pestle and sieve it to get the fine spice powder mix. Keep it aside.
8. Now heat a pressure cooker and pour the pureed masala paste in it. Cook this masala paste over medium flame till it starts releasing oil from its sides.
9. Add turmeric powder and red chili powder in it and mix well.
10. Add fresh cream and mix well. Be gentle while mixing the cream.
11. Cook the masala over low-medium flame till you can smell a nice aroma and it becomes thick also. This is how it looks.
12. Add green peas and mix well.
13. Add water as required and season with salt (as per your taste).
14. Now close the lid of pressure cooker and cook over medium flame for 4-5 whistles (depending upon the size of your cooker and variety of peas used, whistles count may be increased or decreased) or till peas are completely cooked. Allow the pressure to release. Open the lid and stir t gently, later add paneer in it and mix well.
15. Simmer it for 2 more minutes and add kasoori methi and spice powder mix that we prepared.