Matar Mushroom aka Mushrooms and Peas in an Indian spicy gravy is one of my favorite dishes to order in a Restaurant. I was somehow always apprehensive of making it at home as I had never cooked or used Mushrooms. But in last three months, I have experimented with my favorite dish and after several trial and errors, I have successfully made a really nice restaurant style Matar Mushroom. Presenting below my version of this wonderful dish.
Matar Mushroom Ingredients:
200 gm of White or Button Mushrooms
1 cup of green peas (I have used frozen peas), one can also use fresh peas if available
3 medium sized Tomatoes washed, cleaned and cross marked by knife at bottom
8 Cashew nuts
2 medium sized Onions, washed, cleaned and grated
1 teaspoon of fresh grated Ginger
A teaspoon of Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch) powder
1 teaspoon of Coriander seeds (Dhania) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric (Haldi) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin (Jeera) powder
Salt as per taste
1 teaspoon of Oil for sauteing Mushrooms
1 tablespoon of Clarified Butter (Ghee)
2 tablespoon of refined Oil (I have used refined Sunflower Oil)
Matar Mushroom Method:
1. In a Pan with 3 cups of boiling water, add Tomatoes and Cashews and cook it on a medium flame for 5 minutes. After that allow it to cool for 5 more minutes. As peel of Tomatoes will be coming out of it, remove the peel by pulling it from the cross mark, it will come out very easily.
2. Now put boiled Cashews and peeled tomatoes in a grinder/mixer jar.
3. Grind the mixture to form a smooth paste such that there is no lump or pieces of Cashews in it.
4. In an another heated pan with a teaspoon of Oil in it, add cleaned and chopped mushrooms.
5. Saute the Mushrooms for 3-4 minutes on high flame or till Mushrooms acquire brown color. Take them out of the pan to use them later.
6. Now, add clarified Butter (Ghee) and refined Oil in the heated pan and put grated onions into it on medium-low flame. Cook grated Onions by stirring occasionally till they become light brown in color.
7. Add grated Ginger into cooked Onion mixture and mix it well. Cook it for a minute on a low flame.
8. Now add Turmeric(Haldi) and Coriander(Dhania) powder into it and mix it well. Cook the mixture on low flame for 30 seconds.
9. Add Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch), Cumin(Jeera) and Garam Masala powder into it and mix it will by stirring it continuously for 30 seconds.
10. Add Cashew and Tomato paste prepared in step-3 into the pan and mix it well. Cook the gravy mixture on medium heat for 6-7 minutes stirring occasionally or till the mixture starts releasing oil from it.
11. Put Peas, sauteed Mushrooms into the pan and sprinkle some Salt (as per taste) into it. Mix all the things together and cook it for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
12. Add water into it to achieve desired gravy-like consistency and cook it on medium high flame for 6-7 minutes or till Peas and Mushrooms get cooked.
13. Garnish it with freshly chopped green coriander and cook it for a minute and switch off the heat.
Your delightful and super tasty Matar Mushroom is ready to be served with steamed rice or Naan/Parantha/Poori (Indian Breads). Do try this super yummy, Restaurant style Matar Mushroom and you are not going to regret it :-).
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.