Matar Makhana is rich gravy which prepared with puffed lotus seeds or fox nuts and green peas in gravy of tomatoes and onions. If you want to give a rich texture and taste to dish then simply add some khoya/mawa/reduced milk and cream to this curry and it will be a rich and creamy gravy.
Makhana or puffed lotus seeds or fox nuts are very easily available in almost every North Indian Kitchen. Simply dry roast them or shallow fry them in some ghee and they turn out to be a healthy snack for odd timing food cravings.
This dish is very easy to prepare and tastes yummy with roti, poori or paratha.
Makhana/Puffed Lotus Seeds- 1 cup
Matar- 1.5 cups
Onion- 1 medium sized, pureed
Tomatoes- 2 medium sized, pureed
Ginger- 1 inch piece, very finely chopped/grated
Garlic- 2 thick cloves, finely grated/minced
Cumin Seeds/Jeera- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon* (refer notes)
Salt- As per your taste
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
Garam Masala- 1 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon
Oil- 2 tablespoon
Green Coriander Leaves- Few for garnishing
1. Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a kadhai and roast makhana in it till it becomes crispy and golden in colour.
2. In the same kadhai again heat the remaining oil and add asafoetid and jeera in it.
3. Add ginger and garlic and saute on medium flame for 2 minutes.
4. Add onion puree and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes on medium flame till the raw aroma goes away.
5. Add tomato puree and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix well and saute for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
7. Add water to make gravy* (refer notes) and add salt and kasoori methi.
8. Add green peas and mix well. Cook for 7-8 minutes on low-medium flame till peas are soft and tender.
9. Add makhana and mix again. Cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
10. Finally add garam masala and cook for further 1-2 minutes and matar makhana curry is ready to serve. Serve hot and enjoy with poori or paratha.
1. If your asafoetida is strong than you can decrease the quantity of asafoetida and if your asafoetida is not so strong than increase the quantity of asafoetida.
2. The quantity of water to make gravy should depend upon the thickness of gravy you like.