Matar Kachori recipe with its step by step pictures.Make crispy, delicious Matar Kachori at home.
Matar Kachori is a very popular version of kachoris. The dough balls are first stuffed with a spicy and tangy stuffing of green peas and then deep fried in hot oil. These kachoris definitely make a delicious snack to be served with a dip of your choice.
Sauteed and crushed green peas, when pepped up with an assortment of spices, takes the taste to another level. Among all the spices fennel seeds definitely stand out loud with its flavor and appetizing aroma. During winters in Northern India, Matar Kachori makes a perfect breakfast recipe. It can even be enjoyed as a lazy weekend brunch or as an evening snack.
Matar Kachori can be served with a cup of hot tea or with any dip of your choice, even tomato ketchup will work. But as per me, it tastes best when accompanied with Tamarind and Dates chutney and yogurt. But it is up to you, how you want to relish your kachoris.
So let’s start making Matar Kachori and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for making Matar Kachori:
All Purpose Flour (Maida)- 2 cup
Refined Oil- 2 tablespoons + extra for brushing
Salt- To Taste
Baking Soda- A pinch
Carom Seeds (Ajwain)- 1 teaspoon
Lukewarm Water- As required to knead the dough
Green Peas- 1.5 cups
Ginger- 1.5″ piece, paste or grated
Oil- 1 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- 1.5 teaspoons
Fennel Seeds (Saunf)- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Heeng)- 1/8 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder (Haldi)- 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch)- 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder (Dhaniya)- 1.5 teaspoons
GaramMasala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Dried Mango Powder (Amchoor)- 3/4 teaspoon
Salt- To taste
Oil- For deep frying
How to make Matar Kachori:
1. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and saute green peas in it for a minute.
2. Keep it aside to cool down and later grind it into a coarse paste.
3. In the same pan heat, 2 tablespoons of oil and add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and asafoetida in it.
4. Add grated ginger to it and mix well. Saute till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
5. Add green peas to it.
6. Add all the powdered spices in it.
7. Saute till the peas are perfectly cooked.It will take 3-4 minutes. Check seasonings and add more if required. Keep aside and allow it to cool down completely.
8. Meanwhile, knead the dough for the kachoris. Take all purpose flour in a big mixing bowl and add carom seeds, salt, baking soda, and oil in it.
9. Mix them well, it will look like a crumbled mixture.
10. Adding a little water at a time knead into a soft dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil for deep frying in a pan.
11. Take out a little portion of dough on your palm and make a groove in the center.
12. Stuff a little filling in the centre. Don’t over stuff the kachoris, else the filling will come out while rolling the kachoris.
13. Bring together all the sides, close and seal them, and remove the excess dough, if any.
14. Press gently with the palm and flatten the kachori a bit. Gently roll out using a rolling pin. Don’t roll the kachoris too thin or too large, the kachoris should be of the size of your palm.
15. Deep fry the kachoris in the hot oil.
16. Flip it and fry from another side too till it is nicely golden brown in color.
17. Remove from pan and take out on a kitchen paper to absorb excess oil. Fry all the kachoris in the same way. Crispy, flaky delicious kachoris are ready to serve. Tastes best with Tamarind and Dates chutney.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.