Matar Ghugni recipe with step by step pictures
Matar Ghugni or Ghughri is one of the most famous evening snack of eastern India, specially eastern UP and Bihar. In winter season, when green peas are available in abundance, this super simple dish is prepared and savored with hot cup of Chai. Ghugni dish itself has lots of variations from Kale Chane ki Ghugni(black chickpeas) in Banaras to Safed Matar (dried white peas) Ghugni in Bihar and West Bengal. Safed Matar Ghugni is a very famous street food in West Bengal and Bihar. Presenting below, very simple and healthy snack recipe of fresh green peas or Matar Ghugni which taste amazing, do try 🙂
Matar Ghugni Ingredients:
Green Peas (Matar) – 3 cups
Green chilies – 2
Fresh grated ginger – 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) powder – 1/4th teaspoon
Salt – as per taste
Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Juice of a small/medium sized lemon
Ghee or clarified butter – 2 tablespoons
Water – 1 cup
Fresh green coriander (Hara Dhania) – A bunch
Matar Ghugni Method:
1. In a heated pan on medium flame, add ghee or clarified butter and wait for ghee to get hot enough for tempering.
2. Put Cumin seeds, wait for 10 seconds and then add Asafoetida (Hing) powder into it. Give it a quick mix.
3. Add grated ginger and chopped fresh green chilies into it and mix it well on medium low flame.
4. Now add green peas into it and mix it well.
5. Add salt as per taste and mix it well.
6. Pour 1 cup of water into it, mix it well, turn the flame to medium and let it cook with lid on, stirring occasionally till all the water get evaporated and peas are cooked perfectly.
7. Turn the flame to low and add Garam masala powder to it, mix it well for few seconds.
8. Add juice of a lemon into it and mix it well for 10 seconds.
9. Now add chopped fresh green coriander to it and mix it well.
10. Cook this mixture for about 10-20 seconds and switch off the flame.
Delicious Matar Ghugni is ready, serve it as a snack with a cup of hot tea in winters and trust me you are going to just love the fresh flavors of Matar Ghugni.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.