Delicious Matar Ghughra recipe with step by step pictures
Matar Ghughra recipe is a variant of famous Gujarati snack Ghughra, which basically is Gujarati style Empanada. There are two version of Ghughra, spicy and sweet respectively. Sweet one is more like Gujiya but its the spicy one that is more famous. Filling of spicy Ghughras are made of fresh green peas, dried white peas and potatoes, fresh beans etc. Ghughra is said to be one of the most favorite street food in Gujarat. Jamnagar, one of the city in Gujarat is famous for its Ghughras, which are made with dry white peas and potatoes filling and served with three special kind of sweet and spicy chutneys. Matar Ghughra recipe is very easy and they taste amazing as an evening snack. Presenting below my take on this wonderful dish, do try 🙂
Matar Ghughra recipe Ingredients:
Plain flour or Maida – 1 and 1/2 cups
Clarified butter or Ghee – 2 tablespoons
Water – 1/3rd cup
Salt- as per taste
Fresh green peas – 2 cups, you can also use frozen green peas as well
Refined oil – 2 tablespoons, I have used refined sunflower oil
Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Hing) powder – 1/4th teaspoon
Green chilies – 3
Ginger cube, peeled and cleaned – 3 inch long
Water – 1/2 cup
Fresh grated coconut (Taza Nariyal) – 4 tablespoons
Fresh green coriander (Hara Dhania) chopped – 1/4th cup
Juice of a lemon – it would be around 1 tablespoon
Granulated sugar- 2 teaspoons
Salt – as per taste
1 tablespoon of all purpose flour or Maida and 3 tablespoons of water for binding Matar Ghughra
Oil for frying Matar Ghughra, I have used refine sunflower oil.
Matar Ghughra recipe Method:
1. In a large bowl, add salt as per taste, and 2 tablespoons of clarified butter (Ghee) into the plain white flour (Maida).
2. Mix it gently with fingers of your hands such that it achieves a crumbling consistency. The texture should be like if you bind the mixture with your hand it will form a lump as shown in picture below.
3. Now add water into the mixture.
4. Knead it to to form a dough, I have used around 1/3rd cup of water. Wrap it with cling wrap (as shown in the picture below) or cover the prepared dough with a damp cotton cloth and refrigerate the dough for minimum one hour (the more the better).
5. Meanwhile, we need to make a smooth paste of both ginger and green chilies. To make a fine paste, put them in a Mortar and Pestle.
6. Pound them, till they form a smooth paste, as shown in picture below.
7. Put fresh green peas into a chopper or a grinder.
8. Grind it to make pea paste which is a bit grainy, as shown in the picture below.
9. Now in a heated pan with two tablespoons of refined oil, add cumin seeds and asafoetida (Hing) powder and mix them well. Let the seeds crackle for 10 seconds and turn golden brown in color. Now add green chilies and ginger paste prepared in step number 6. Mix it well and cook the paste for about 20 seconds on medium flame.
10. Add coarsely grounded fresh green pea paste. Cook it on medium flame stirring continuously for about 2 minutes on medium flame.
12. Now add 1/2 cup of water and mix it well. Cover it with a lid and cook the mixture on low flame till all the water is evaporated and the mixture is well cooked, stirring occasionally.
13. Once the mixture is cooked, put fresh chopped green coriander (Hara Dhania) and grated fresh coconut (Taza Nariyal) into it.
14. Also add sugar, juice of a lemon and salt as per taste into it.
15. Mix all things together and cook it on low flame for about a minute, stirring continuously. For Matar Ghughra recipe, filling is ready now. Switch off the flame and transfer the filling into a clean bowl or plate and allow the mixture to cool down completely. Its very important that filling should be cooled down to room temperature or below before using it.
16. Take the dough out of fridge, unwrap the dough.
17. Roll it up and divide it in four equal parts.
18. Repeat division of each dough lump till you have a approximately a small lemon size lump. Roll all the lumps to form round balls out of it and put all the balls in a bowl or at one place and cover them with a damp cloth. Now take out one ball and start rolling it using a rolling pin (Belan).
19. Place Matar Ghughra filling at the center of the rolled filling. In my Ghughra recipe, I have used around 2.5-3 teaspoon of filling in one Matar Ghughra.
20. In a small bowl, add a tablespoon of Flour (Maida) and add enough water just to make a running batter out of it, mix them well to form a thin paste which will be used to stick and bind the edges of Matar Ghughra. Apply this paste on the edges of crust using your finger.
21. Fold the one half of the Matar Ghughra on top of the other half and press on edges to seal the filling.
22. Now take the filled Matar Ghughra in your hand and gently press the edges to ensure there is no opening in it.
23. Twist edges of the Matar Ghughra using your finger as shown in below picture.
24. Heat sufficient Oil ( I have used refined Sunflower Oil) in a Wok or Kadai such that 3-4 Matar Ghughras can be submerged for frying. Before putting Ghughras into hot oil, ensure oil is hot enough for frying by putting a small chunk of pastry/crust dough, if it come on top of oil along with bubbles, then your oil is ready. Turn the flame to medium and gently slide 3-4 Ghughras into it.
25. Turn the flame to medium and gently slide 3-4 Ghughras into it.
26. When the side immersed inside the oil turn light brown in color, flip them gently so that they get cooked evenly from both sides. Once they turn light Brown in color from both side, strain them out from the heated oil.Make and fry all remaining Matar Ghugras as mentioned in above steps. Your delicious Matar Ghughra is ready. Serve them hot with chutneys of your choice. Get immersed in Ghughras crunchy texture and hot and sweet taste of its green peas filling. Serve it with Tea to your friends or families on special occasions and festivals and believe me they will absolutely love them. Do try this yummy Matar Ghughra recipe.
Cheers and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.