Masala Pav recipe with its step by step pictures. Learn how to make famous street food Masala Pav at your home.
Street food is an integral part of Indian cuisine, whether it be North Indian or South Indian cuisine. Masala Pav is a classic and spicy Maharashtrian street food and it is one recipe which I wanted to try for a long time. Now, this is one of my favorite dish that I make quite often.
Masala pav is made by toasting spicy tomato-onion gravy over butter-laden pavs. It makes a great evening snack, a tasty tea partner or a delicious weekend brunch. I have divided making this recipe into three parts:
- Making the masala
- Toasting the pav in butter
- Assembling the masala and the pav
The masala that is served with pav in this recipe is made with onion, tomato, capsicum, and pav bhaji masala seasoned with salt and lemon juice. There are many variations of making masala for masala pav. Some people prefer to add boiled and mashed potatoes also in the masala but I avoid adding potatoes and make the masala only with onions, tomatoes, and capsicum.
Masala Pav somewhat tastes similar to Pav-Bhaji as many ingredients are same as pav-bhaji like onions, tomatoes, capsicum, and pav bhaji masala. However, in pav-bhaji some extra veggies are also added like green peas, cauliflower, carrots, green peas etc.
So let’s start making Masala Pav and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients to make Masala Pav:
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Butter- 2 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Heeng)- 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Kashmiri Red Chili Powder- To taste
Coriander Powder- 2 teaspoon
Pav-Bhaji Masala- 3 teaspoon
Lemon Juice- 1-2 teaspoon
Onion- 2 small/1 big, finely chopped
Capsicum- 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic- 5-6 cloves, finely chopped or minced
Ginger- 1″ piece, finely chopped or minced
Tomatoes- 4, finely chopped
Green Coriander Leaves- To garnish
Salt- To taste
Ladi Pav- 4-5
How to make Masala Pav:
1. Let’s start with collecting all the ingredients together as it will save our time.
2. Heat oil and butter in a non-stick pan. Adding oil along with butter prevents it from burning.
3. When butter is heated add cumin seeds and let them sputter. Later add asafoetida too.
4. Add ginger and garlic in it. Saute over medium flame stirring in between till raw aroma of ginger and garlic disappears.
5. Add finely chopped onions and mix well. Saute till they are translucent.
6. Add capsicum and season it with a little salt. Cook it over medium flame for 2-3 minutes or till it is cooked.
7. Add pureed tomatoes in it.
8. Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder and mix well.
9. Cook it for about 2-3 minutes or till the raw flavor of tomatoes goes away. Now add pav bhaji masala to it and mix well.
10. Saute the masala mix over medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
11. Add lemon juice and mix well.
12. Now turn the flame to high and cook it for 2 minutes, stirring in between.
13. Sprinkle finely chopped green coriander leaves in it.
14. Masala mix is ready. Keep it aside and allow it to cool down. Meanwhile again on a separate pan heat some butter (don’t burn the butter).
15. Cut the ladi-pav from the center and toast the pav on butter from both the sides.
16. Take out the toasted pav on a plate.
17. Put the prepared masala on the toasted pav.
18. Garnish it with some finely chopped coriander leaves and onion. Delicious Masala Pav is ready to serve. Enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.