Lauki ka Halwa or Gheeya aka Doodhi ka Halwa is a delicious Indian milk-based pudding made from one of the most boring and avoided vegetable Lauki aka Doodhi aka Gheeya aka Bottle Gourd. Though a wide range of recipes can be made from Lauki still it is considered to be one of the most boring vegetables by many people and especially kids.
Lauki has several health benefits also and one of the best health benefits of Lauki is that it contains 90% water which makes it easy to digest and also an ideal veggie for people suffering from stomach problems and weight watchers. It is rich in many minerals also like Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Folic acid. Also, it is a good source of Vitamin A and C. In spite of such high nutritional value kids get most fussy in eating Lauki and mothers get a big headache of how to feed them Lauki.
So here is the solution for all the dessert lovers and the fussy eaters, Lauki ka Halwa. A creamy, rich, healthy and sweet recipe of Lauki which is very easy to make and super yummy to taste. Also, you can enjoy this recipe in fasts also. So next time when you find Lauki in your Refrigerator and you are not getting what to do with it then, do try this once and I am sure you will give it another try.
Grated Lauki or Gheeya or Bottle Gourd- 2 cups
Milk- 4 cups
Cream- 1/2 cup
Sugar- 4 tablespoons (or as per your taste)
Ghee- 2 tablespoon
Almonds- 1 tablespoon
Cashew- 1 tablespoon
Chironji (Charoli ) – 1/2 tablespoon
Melon Seeds (Magaz seeds) – 1/2 tablespoon
1. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom kadhai or pan.
2. Meanwhile, grate the Lauki aka Gheeya aka Bottle gourd.
(Note: Lauki should be grated when we are immediately putting it in heated pan, if grated and stored in advance it will turn brown in color as it gets oxidized pretty fast, and your Halwa will not look nice)
3. Add the grated Lauki into the Ghee and mix well.
4. Saute Lauki over the low-medium flame for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes you can feel a nice aroma coming out of Pan, also the color of the Lauki will be changed slightly.
5. At this stage remove Lauki from the Pan and keep aside on a plate to cool down slightly. In the same Pan add milk and bring it to a boil.
6. Meanwhile, take out all the dry fruits in a bowl and coarsely chop almonds and cashew.
7. Simmer the milk for 10 minutes stirring continuously. If milk sticks to the sides of the Pan then scoop it out and put it again into the boiling milk. Allow the milk to reduce to half of its quantity.
8. When Milk gets thicker, add all the dry fruits and mix well.
9. Cook the milk and dry fruits for another 2 minutes stirring continuously on a medium-low flame. Now add grated Lauki and mix well.
10. Cook over medium flame for 3-4 minutes and add cream.
11. Cook over medium to high flame for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously.
12. Add sugar and mix it well.
13. Finally, cook over high flame for next 2 minute or till the sugar is completely dissolved and it started releasing Ghee/Butter from the corners.
14. Gheeya aka Doodhi aka Lauki ka halwa is ready. Serve it in bowls and enjoy hot, also if you want you can refrigerate it for 15 minutes and enjoy it cool. It’s all up to you….
Also, do subscribe our YouTube Channel by clicking on subscribe button for delicious recipe videos.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.