Kesari Suji Halwa or Suji Ka Halwa is my family’s all time favorite desert. My Husband and my Son can enjoy it any time, even in mid night. It is the favorite recipe of my Father too though he can’t enjoy it frequently anymore since he had been declared Diabetic by his doctor. Not only my family I think it is one of the most cherished and popular dessert in entire North Indian region.
Kesari Suji Halwa or Suji Ka Halwa is very easy to make, the only tedious task is to roast the Semolina (Suji) in Clarified Butter (Ghee) for at least 25 to 30 minutes, stirring almost continuously over low flame. It is then flavored with Saffron and Cardamom (Elaichi). You can skip adding Saffron if you like and simply make it with Cardamom (Elaichi) only, as in most of the homes it is made with Cardamom only without adding Saffron in it.
Now a days many other variants are also available of making suji ka halwa like Suji Halwa n Microwave or No or very little Ghee Suji Halwa etc. but i personally feel that sweets when made in traditional way tastes best and are unbeatable in comparison with the modern day cooking techniques.
I always prefer adding Saffron in all my dessert recipes as it enhances the color of the dish along with imparting an exotic aroma in the recipe which is in comparable with any other flavoring agent or essence. However as I had said earlier also, you may skip adding Saffron and can add any other essence of your choice. But Saffron tastes best in this recipe.
So here is the step by step recipe of Kesari Suji Halwa or Suji Ka Halwa:
Clarified Butter (Ghee)- 1/2 cup
Semolina (Rava/Suji)- 1 cup
Almonds- 1 tablespoon (chopped)
Cashew- 1 tablespoon (chopped)
Raisins (Kishmish)- 2 tablespoon
Chirongi- 1 tablespoon
Saffron- 10-15 strands (soaked in 2 tablespoon of lukewarm milk)
Cardamom Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Sugar- 1 cup (or as per your taste)
Water- 4 cups (warm)
1. Heat Clarified Butter (Ghee) in a heavy bottom pan and toast Cashews in it till they are golden in color. Scoop them on a kitchen towel to absorb excess Ghee.
2. In the same pan heat Ghee again and add Semolina (Suji) in it and mix well.
3. Dry roast the Semolina (Suji) for at least 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally so that it doesn’t burn. After 25 minutes you can observe the color of Semolina (Suji) has changed from white to pinkish brown and also you can sense a nice aroma coming out of the pan.
4. Since Semolina (Suji) has been perfectly roasted now add sugar and warm water in it. Be careful while adding water in it. Turn the flame to high and mix it well by stirring continuously in one direction only.
5. Add soaked Saffron threads and Cardamom (Elaichi) Powder in it and mix well.
6. Add all the dry fruits and mix well. Cashews and Almonds being heavy settled down in the bottom of the pan.
7. Keep stirring over medium flame till sugar dissolves completely and Semolina absorbs water and swells up.
8. Halwa is ready. Garnish with Sliced Almonds and Saffron and serve. Enjoy it hot.