Kadhai paneer is a tasty and spicy combination of paneer, capsicum, tomato, onion and traditional Indian spices. If you need a quick but irresistible recipe to satiate your hunger then this dish is perfectly for you.
It got its name Kadhai Paneer, because the whole dish is prepared in kadhai, Indian version of wok. Kadhai is also used to prepare many other Indian dishes and even for deep frying Indian snacks like samosa, pakore, poori etc.
The texture of the gravy in this dish is not smooth like shahi paneer or paneer butter masala. It is slightly chunky because of the chopped tomatoes and crushed spices in it. The bright red color of the gravy comes from red tomatoes as well as from red chilies.
This dish is so exotic and tempting in its taste and aroma that it has became an essential recipe of all the Indian restaurants. You can enjoy it with roti, naan, parathas or rice.
Cottage Cheese/Paneer- 250 gm
Onion- 1 medium sized, thinly sliced.
Capsicum- 1 medium sized, thinly sliced.
Tomatoes- 2 medium sized, finely chopped.
Garlic- 4-5 cloves, minced or finely chopped.
Ginger- 1.5 inch piece, finely chopped or grated
Green Chilies- 1-2, sliced (optional)
Bay Leaf- 1 big or 2 if small,
Dried Red Chilies- 1-2
Cumin- 1 teaspoon
Hung Curd- 1 tablespoon
Oil- 1 tablespoon.
Turmeric- 1/2 teaspoon
Crushed Red Chilies/Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
Cumin Powder- 1 teaspoon
Mixed Spices Powder/Garam Masala- 1 teaspoon
Salt- To taste
1. Heat oil in a kadhai and add bay leaves and dried red chilies in it.
2. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle.
3. Add ginger and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Don’t over fry them.
4. Add finely chopped green chilies and saute for 1-2 minutes (optional step, skip it if you want)
5. Add sliced onions and mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes till they are soft.
6. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute again for 4-5 minutes in low to medium flame till tomatoes are soft and get mashed.
7. Add capsicum and saute again for 2-3 minutes. Don’t over cook them, let them be little crunchy.
6. Add crushed red chilies, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.
7. Add water to adjust gravy and cook on low flame for 4-5 minutes. Add garam masala and mix well.
8. Add hung curd and mix well. Adjust salt if required and mix well. Allow to cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
9. Add paneer cubes and mix well.
10. Cook covered on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the flame and garnish with ginger juliennes and serve hot.