Kadai Mushroom is a tasty and spicy combination of mushrooms, capsicum and onions, cooked in a spicy tomato based gravy, a combination that can never go wrong. It got its name Kadai Mushroom, because the whole dish is prepared in kadai, Indian version of wok.
Kadai Mushroom is a very popular, delicious, flavorful Indian style, gravy based dish prepared with mushrooms and bell peppers, that goes very well with almost every Indian flatbread or rice variety. It can be made dry or with gravy, as per your preference. It will taste delicious in either way.
Kadai Mushroom can be made less or more hot, depending on the type of red chilies used. If you will use more hot and pungent chilies it will be hot and if you will use Kashmiri red chilies, then it will be mildly hot, its up to you. In this recipe I have used hot whole red chilies and Kashmiri red chili powder and this combination made my recipe moderately hot, neither too hot and nor too bland.
The bright red color of the gravy comes from fresh and ripen red tomatoes and from Kashmiri red chilies. This dish is so exotic and tempting in its taste and aroma that it has became an essential recipe of all the Indian restaurants.
So let’s start making Kadai Mushroom and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for Kadai Mushroom:
Mushroom- 250 grams, cut into halves
Capsicum- 1 big or 2 small, cubed
Tomato- 4-5, chopped
Onion- 2, cubed
Garlic- 7-8 cloves, chopped
Ginger- 1.5 inch, chopped
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Butter- 2 tablespoon
Refined Oil- 1 tablespoon + extra for frying veggies.
Sugar- 1/4 teaspoon
For making Kadai Masala:
Cinnamon- 1.5-inch stick
Bay Leaf- 2
Whole Red Chilies- 2-3
Cumin Seeds- 1.5 teaspoon
Coriander Seeds- 1 tablespoon
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon
Salt- As per your taste
Green Coriander Leaves
Ginger- Few juliennes
Method for making Kadai Mushroom:
1. Let’s start with taking all the ingredients together, required for making Kadai Mushroom.
2. Wash and clean mushrooms properly. Later cut them into halves and keep aside.
3. Take all the ingredients listed under “For making Kadai Masala” except bay leaves in a pan and dry roast them till they are fragrant. Be careful while roasting the whole spices and don’t burn them. Take out in a plate and allow to cool down.
4. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry capsicum and half of the onions. Cook them till they become a little soft. Don’t overcook them, they should retain their crunch. Take them out in a plate and keep aside.
5. In the same pan add chopped ginger and garlic and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
6. Add remaining onions and mix well. Sprinkle a little salt over them to evaporate the moisture and reducing the cooking time.
7. Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook over medium flame till tomatoes become soft and fat starts separating from the sides. Turn the flame off and allow it to cool down. Later grind this mixture into a smooth puree and keep it aside.
8. With the help of a mortar and pestle crush the whole spices into a coarse powder.
9. In the same pan heat butter and oil.
10. Add bay leaves, whole red chilies, and asafoetida.
11. Add pre-cooked capsicum in it and mix well.
12. Add tomato puree and mix well. Simmer it for 3-4 minutes.
13. Add turmeric powder, sugar and Kashmiri red chili powder and mix well.
14. Add the coarsely ground kadai masala powder and kasoori methi.
15. Now add mushrooms and fried onions in it and cook it over medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
16. Add water as required to adjust the gravy and season it with salt.
17. Lastly add garam masala powder and mix well. Check the seasonings and add more salt, if required. Close the lid of the pan and simmer it for 2 minutes.
18. Kadai Mushroom is ready to serve. It can be served with Paratha, Naan, Roomali Roti or even with plain steamed Rice.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.