Instant Lemon Pickle (Nimbu ka Achar) recipe with step by step pictures
This instant lemon pickle (Nimbu ka Achar) recipe is a modern take on evergreen traditional Indian style sweet and sour lemon pickle recipe, which taste great and is considered good for your health too. Traditional lemon pickle recipe requires pickle to get matured slowly by placing them in Sunlight for more than a month. Such long period is necessary for maturing of thick lemon skin which takes most of the time. This instant pickle recipe takes a short cut of boiling the whole lemons and then making the pickle out of them, which reduces the time and effort both. Presenting below, my way of making this sweet and sour instant lemon pickle which tastes superb with any type of Indian meal.
Instant Lemon Pickle Ingredients:
Lemons (Nimbu) – 12, it will be around 500 grams
Lemon juice (Nimbu ka ras) – 4 tablespoons
Salt – as per taste, I have added 4 teaspoons of salt
Turmeric (Haldi) powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
Jaggery (Gud) – 1 cup
Coarsely crushed black pepper (Kali Mirch) – 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds (Jeera) powder – 1 teaspoon
Red chili flakes ( Kuti Lal Mirch) – 5 teaspoons, In place of chili flakes, you can use red chili powder also
Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 1 teaspoon
Instant Lemon Pickle Method:
1. Wash and clean the lemons properly.
2. Now take enough water in a large pan such that all the lemons should get submerged in it. Switch on the flame to high and bring the water to roaring boil.
Note: To know the amount of water needed for boiling the lemons, first place all the lemons in the pan and then add sufficient water to submerge the lemons. Now remove the lemons and you have the required amount of water for boiling.
3. Put all the lemons in boiling water and wait for water to start boiling again. Once water starts boiling, cover the pan with a lid and turn the flame to medium low.
4. Cook lemons in the pan covered with lid for about 14-15 minutes and then switch off the heat.
5. Gently take lemons out of liquid one by one and then discard the liquid.
6. Keep them on a tissue paper and allow them to cool down completely.
7. Once cooled down, take a large bowl and start cutting lemons into quarters or four pieces (first cutting it half then slicing both the pieces into half) using a sharp knife. Cut all the lemons on top of the bowl, as juice and pulp will come out of it when you cut them. Do this for all the cooked lemons and put all the slices in the bowl.
8. Now add 4 tablespoons of lemon juice into it.
9. Add Turmeric (Haldi) powder and salt into it.
10. Gently mix it so that all things are mixed well.
11. Now add jaggery (Gud) into the pickle mixture.
12. Keep mixing or stirring gently till all the jaggery (Gud) gets dissolved in the pickle mixture. This will take about 3-4 minutes and it also depends on the quality and type of jaggery too.
13. Add coarsely crushed black pepper (Kali Mirch), cumin seeds (Jeera) powder, red chili flakes (you can use chilli powder if chilli flakes are not available) into the mixture and gently mix all things.
14. Add carom seeds (Ajwain) into it.
15. Give it a gentle final mix.
16. Put prepared lemon pickle in a clean and sterilized glass jar. Place the lid on the jar and show sunlight to the jar for minimum 4 days for 5 to 6 hours.
After 4 days, your pickle will be ready to be served. However, if you want to further enhance and mature the pickle’s flavor, like myself then, keep this pickle jar in sunlight daily for 10 more days from morning to evening and lightly shake the jar so that all things are getting mixed properly, once in a day. This will mature the lemon pickle more and will taste amazing.
Your sweet and sour instant lemon pickle is ready to be enjoyed with any kind of meal.You can store this pickle for about six months, but it will get consumed very quickly as it tastes super yummy. Serve it with any kind of meal and it will enhance the flavor of that to the fullest.
Cheers and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.