Cluster Beans stir fry or Guar ki Sabzi is a very healthy and delicious vegetarian side dish that goes well with any kind of Indian flatbread. Its bittersweet flavor and sticky texture make its stir-fry rich in flavors.
Guar ki Phali or Cluster Bean is very healthy and nutritious vegetable that is being cultivated across India. It’s by-product, Guar Gum (and its other derivatives) has various industrial uses ranging from Oil and Gas production to Ice-cream manufacturing. Next time if you are having an Ice-cream, think of Cluster Beans that provide it a gummy texture.
Cluster beans rich in fibers and nutrients have following health benefits:
1. Rich in Folic acid, it is considered good for pregnant woman.
2. Its fibers and nutrients are considered good for your digestive system and high Vitamin C increases immunity.
3. It also helps in lowering bad cholesterol of your body thus preventing heart diseases.
It can be consumed as a boiled vegetable, stir fry or in a curry. Presenting below my version of Cluster Beans stir fry or Guar ki Sabzi which tastes amazing with Roti/Parantha or Rice.
500 grams of Cluster Beans (Guar ki Phali)
1 medium sized Onion, peeled, cleaned and chopped
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin seeds (Jeera) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Carom seeds (Ajwain)
1/2 teaspoon of Asafoetida (Hing) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric (Haldi) powder
1 teaspoon of Coriander seeds (Dhania) powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch) powder
1 teaspoon of dry Mango powder (Amchoor)
1 teaspoon of crushed dried Pomegranate seeds (Anardana)
3 tablespoon of refined Oil ( I have used refined Sunflower Oil )
1 teaspoon of Black Salt (Kala Namak)
Salt as per taste
1. Wash thoroughly Cluster Beans (Gaur ki Pahli) in running water then, remove the tip of Beans from both the end. While removing the top and bottom tip if a thread or wire comes out then pluck the wire along from top to down and vice versa. After that chop beans into 2-inch slices using a sharp knife or you can slice them by hands also.
Heat regular size pan with enough water and bring it to boil. Now add the chopped beans into it and cook it on medium high flame for about 8 minutes or till Beans become tender and cooked.
2. Strain the water out of cooked beans and put it aside.
3. Heat Oil in a pan and Carom seeds (Ajwain), Cumin seeds (Jeera) and Asafoetida into it and saute them on a medium flame for about 15-20 seconds.
4. Add chopped Onion into it and cook it on medium flame, stirring occasionally till onions start turning into golden Brown in color.
5. Add Turmeric (Haldi) powder and Coriander seeds (Dhania) powder into it and mix it well for around 20 seconds on medium flame.
6. Add Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch) powder, Black Salt (Kala Namak), dry Mango Powder (Amchoor), crushed dried Pomegranate seeds (Anardana) and Salt (remember that we are adding Black Salt also, so need to reduce its quantity as desired) as per taste into it.
7. Now add chopped and boiled Cluster Beans (Guar ki Phali) into it and mix all thing together with delicate hands.
8. Cook the beans for another 7-8 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Your absolutely delicious Cluster Beans stir fry or Guar ki sabzi is ready. Serve it with Daal-Rice or Indian flatbreads such as Roti, Parantha or Poori and enjoy the different flavors of this very nutritious dish.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.