Green Chili Pickle (Serrano Chilies Pickle) aka Hari Mirch ka Bharwaan Achaar is one of my favorite Pickle. I can have it with any kind of meal or as a side dish for my Pooris and Paranthas (Indian Flat Bread).
Presenting below my version of this spicy and delicious hot Green Chili Pickle that you can’t resist having it with your meal.
Green Chili Pickle Ingredients:
500 grams fresh green Chilies or Serrano Chilies (Hari Mirch)
6 tablespoon of Yellow Mustard seeds (Peeli Sarson)
3 tablespoon of Fennel seeds ( Saunf)
1 tablespoon of Nigella Sativa seeds (Kalonji)
2 tablespoon of Fenugreek seeds (Methi dana)
2 tablespoon of Turmeric (Haldi) powder
6 tablespoon of Salt
3 cups of Mustard Oil
Green Chili Pickle Method:
1. Wash the Green Chilies (Serrano Chilies) thoroughly in water, strain them in a Colander and then spread them on a old Newspaper and keep them in direct Sunlight for 3-4 hours (or more, depending upon the intensity of Sunlight) till all the moisture in Chilies gets dry up, and there is not a drop of water in them and the Newspaper also get completely dry.
Now, remove the crown of the Chilies and slit each one lengthwise such that it remains intact for stuffing the Pickle’s filling.
2. In a heated Pan on a low flame, put Fenugreek (Methi) seeds, Fennel (Saunf) seeds, Yellow Mustard (Peeli Sarson) seeds and Nigella seeds (Kalonji). Mix all spices together and stir the mixture continuously on a low flame till they get roasted lightly and nice fragrance of all the spices start coming out.
3. Switch off the heat and transfer the spice mixture into a grinder Jar.
4. Coarsely grind the spice mixture so that all the things get mixed into each other. Do not grind it to make a smooth powder of the spices as it will impact the taste and texture of the Pickle.
5. Put coarsely grounded spice mixture in a bowl along with Salt and Turmeric (Haldi) powder and mix all the things together.
6. Out of 3 cups, Mustard Oil put 1/3 of a cup into the spice mixture and mix it well to form a little moist textured spice mix for filling Green Chilies.
7. Take each Chili and stuff it with spice mix prepared in above step one by one, till all the Chilies are stuffed with the spice mixture. Be careful while stuffing the mixture inside the Green Chili by not touching directly inside of Chili. You can use gloves if your skin is very sensitive, but usually carefully stuff ing without touching the inside of Chili is sufficient to keep chilies heat away from yourself. The process will take time and one needs to be patient to achieve a wonderful result. You will be left with some spice mix after filling all the chilies as shown below.
8. Now heat Mustard oil in the flame on a high flame till light smoke starts coming out of Oil, immediately switch off the heat and let it cool for 15-20 minutes. As this will make the taste of oil less pungent impart a nice flavor to the pickle.
9. When Mustard Oil gets cool down, put 1/4 cup of Oil in the Jar and pour remaining spice mixture in it which got left after stuffing all the Chilies.
10. Very carefully put all the stuffed Green Chilies in the Glass Jar such that there is no spilling or coming out of spice mixture from the Chilies.
11. Now slowly pour all the remaining cooled Oil slowly till all the Chillies are submerged in Oil. Do it slowly as Oil needs to go up to the bottom by passing through and submerging all the Chilies till the top of the Jar. Place the lid on Jar and leave it as it is for two days. After two days, show Sunlight to Jar for 4 days for 3-4 hours. After 5 days leave it as it is for the next 8 to 10 days. I know it is a long time but you will get an absolutely delightful hot Green Chili Pickle.After 8-10 days, your spicy and delightful Pickle is ready to be enjoyed with any kind of meal. It will enhance the flavor of any kind of food that you eat. You can store it up to a year.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.