Gobhi Matar Parantha (Cauliflower and Green Peas stuffed Indian Flat Bread), is a fusion of two very popular North Indian Parathas, i.e., Gobhi Paratha and Matar Paratha.
I was having very little gobhi and matar, lying in my refrigerator and I was in no mood of making typical Gobhi-Matar ki sabzi again so giving it a twist, I chopped them very fine using an electric chopper, cooked them and later stuffed it in a pre-kneaded dough and made paratha out of it. The result was spicy and yummy parathas which were highly appreciated by my hubby and were a big hit in my home. So I thought to share its recipe with you also.
I really love parathas and I can literally make paratha of almost anything present in my kitchen. I have shared many of my paratha recipes in some online food groups I have joined and as a very pleasant surprise in one of those groups, many people call me the Paratha Queen, as I can make Paratha of almost anything (as I said earlier too).
As every stuffed paratha, I have divided making Gobhi Matar Paratha in 3 easy steps:
- Kneading the dough.
- Preparing the filling.
- Assembling the two, that is making the parathas.
So let’s start making Gobhi Matar Paratha. Here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Whole Wheat Flour- 2 cups
Water- 3/4 cup
Sat- 1/2 teaspoon
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Cauliflower Florets (Phool Gohi)- 2 cups
Green Pea (Matar)- 1 cup
Ginger- 1.5 inch piece
Green Chilies- 3-4, finely chopped
Cumin Seeds (Jeera)- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Salt- As per your taste
Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
Dried mango Powder (Amchoor)- 1/2 teaspoon (Increase if you like a more tangy taste)
Cilantro Leaves- For garnish (Optional)
Oil- 2 teaspoon + extra for toasting parathas
Mix all the ingredients together and knead a soft dough, cover it and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes before use.
1. Cut cauliflower in florets and peel green peas. Wash them properly and then using an electric chopper chop them very finely.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds in it.
3. When cumin seeds starts crackling add chopped green chilies and ginger. Mix well and saute over medium flame for 1-2 minutes or till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
4. Add chopped cauliflower and peas and mix well. Cook over medium flame for 2 minutes.
5. Add red chili powder, garam masala, salt and coriander powder. Mix them well and cook for next 3-4 minutes.
6. Lastly add amchoor powder and cook for next 2 minutes. Check the seasonings and add more salt and chili powder if required.
7. Turn off the flame and allow the stuffing to cool down.
1. Now I have pre kneaded dough to make the parathas, just take out a small ball size quantity from the dough and with the help of your fingers make a groove or well in the center. With the help of a small spoon stuff the filling in it.
2. Seal the edges and very carefully, gently and delicately press it with the help of our palms, so hat the filling doesn’t comes out.
3. Dust it with some flour and with the help of a rolling pin roll out into a circle of approximately 8 inch diameter.
4. Heat a girdle and put this rolled out paratha on it. Cook from both sides till brown spots starts appearing.
5. Apply butter or ghee or oil on both sides and again till paratha is cooked to perfection.
6. Make all parathas in the same way. Serve these parathas with some pickle of your choice and curd. You can even enjoy the parathas with a cup of hot ginger tea and enjoy it hot.