Baby potatoes- 8 to 10
Tomatoes- 3 to 4
Beaten curd- 5 to 6 tbsp
Fresh cream- 3 to 4 tbsp
Ginger- 1.5 inch piece.
Oil- 2 tbsp and also for deep frying
Bay leaves- 2
Asafoetida- a pinch
Green chillies- as per your taste
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
Kashmir red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 2.5 tsp
Salt- as per your taste
Kasoori methi- 1 tsp
Whole spices to be dry roast-
Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1/2 tsp
Green cardamom- 7- 8
Black cardamom- 2
Cinnamon- 2 small sticks
1. Wash and par boil the potatoes and peel them.
2. Deep fry them till they are golden brown.
3. Dry roast all the whole spices and when they cool down grind them.
4. In a pan heat the oil, add asafoetida and caraway seeds.
5. Add finely chopped green chillies and ginger and saute them for a minute.
6. Add bay leaves and saute them untill the raw aroma of ginger has gone.
7. Add finely chopped tomatoes and cook on low flames for 15 to 20 minutes till they are soft, tender and pureed.
8. Add the dry roasted whole spices powder. Cook again on low flame till fat starts to separate.
9. Add all the powdered spices and gain cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
10. Add beaten curd, salt, cream and kasoori methi and cook again for 5-10 minutes on low flame. Now your gravy is ready to add the potatoes.
11. Add fried potatoes and cook on dum for next 15-20 minutes on low flame.
12. Dum aloo are ready. Take out, garnish them with coriander leaves and they are ready to eat. You can enjoy them with roti/paratha/naan/jeera rice.