Dubki Wale Aloo or most popularly known as Mathura ke Dubki Wale Aloo is a thin, spicy, no onion no garlic, North Indian style gravy based recipe made of potatoes, which is very popular in Mathura, the city of Lord Krishna in Uttar Pradesh.
Mathura is a well known and famous city of India, not because it is the birthplace of Lord Krishna, but for its various food delicacies and one of them is the very famous Dubki Wale Aloo, not only in Mathura but in North India also and are served with Poori, Kachori or Bedmi Poori and Jalebi.
Dubki Wale Aloo is a no onion no garlic recipe and even tomatoes are not added in it. It is flavored with some dry spices and ginger only. This recipe is easy to make and requires very few ingredients, all you need to make it are boiled potatoes, ginger, and some spices. Traditionally this recipe is made thin but you can also make it thicker by adding more potatoes in this recipe.
Adding red chili powder and Kasoori Methi is optional in this recipe and you can completely avoid using these two as we have already added green chilies and dried red chilies to make the recipe hot. So if you don’t want your recipe being too hot just skip adding it or you can add Kashmiri red chili powder. It will give a nice flavor and color to the recipe without making it too hot. For more potatoes recipe you can also check Kashmiri Dum Aloo, Aloo Baingan Palak, Uttarakhand Style Aloo Ke Gutke, Aloo Palak Sabzi, etc.
So let’s start making Dubki Wale Aloo and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for Dubki Wale Aloo:
Potatoes (Aloo)- 3-4, boiled and mashed
Oil- 2 tablespoon
Green Chilies- 2, finely chopped
Ginger- 1 inch, finely chopped or grated
Salt- As per your taste
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chii Powder- 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
Dry Mango Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon, crushed (optional)
Cumin- 1 teaspoon
Bay Leaf- 1
Dry Red Chilies- 2
Method for making Dubki Wale Aloo:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida in it. When cumin seeds start cracking add dry red chilies and bay leaf and saute for 30 seconds over medium flame.
2. Add ginger and green chilies in it and saute over medium flame till raw aroma of ginger goes away.
3. Add potatoes in it and mix them well.
4. Add the dry spices except salt and garam masala powder. Mix it well and cook over medium flame for 2 minutes.
5. Add water according to the consistency of the gravy you prefer and season it with salt. Normally gravy in this recipe is a little thin as compared to other gravy based dishes.
6. Add garam masala powder and mix well. Close the lid and simmer it for five minutes.
7. Turn off the flame and check the seasonings, add more if required.
8. Dubki Wale Aloo is ready to serve. It is best served with the very famous Bedmi Poori. Serve hot and enjoy…!!
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.