Desiccated coconut Barfi with step by step recipe with pictures
Desiccated coconut Barfi is one of the easiest and simple recipes which can be made very quickly to celebrate any festive occasion. The taste of coconut is balanced by the creaminess of milk powder and clarified butter or Ghee. I have already shared instant Kalakand recipe earlier and this recipe is also made in a similar way but using different ingredients. Presenting below, my take on this very simple and delicious desiccated coconut Barfi. Do try 🙂
Desiccated Coconut Barfi ingredients:
1 Cup ~ 240 ml
3 tablespoons clarified butter (Ghee)
1 and 1/2 cups of full-fat whole milk
1/4 cup of fresh cream (Malai)
1 and 1/4 cups of skimmed milk powder
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
3 cups desiccated coconut (Nariyal Bura)
1/2 teaspoon of crushed cardamom seeds made from 6-7 pods of green cardamom (Elaichi)
Coarsely grounded pistachio (Pista) powder made from using around 20-25 pistachios, for garnishing the Barfi
Desiccated Coconut Barfi method:
1. In a heated wok (Kadahi) add clarified butter or Ghee.
2. Then add 1/2 cup of full-fat whole milk in it.
3. Next, add fresh cream or Malai into the wok or Kadahi.
4. Mix everything and bring it to a boil.
5. Add skimmed milk powder to it.
6. Mix it very well on a low flame for a minute. The mixture will look like Mawa/Khoya or evaporated milk.
7. Add remaining 1 cup of the milk into the mixture. Mix it very well on a medium low flame
8. Add granulated sugar into it.
9. Mix it well by stirring continuously on medium-low flame till mixture comes to a boil and is evenly mixed.
10. Add desiccated coconut or Nariyal Ka Boora into it.
11. Mix everything and cook it on low flame, stirring continuously till the mixture becomes a bit thick and starts releasing nice coconut aroma from it. This step is very important to remove the rawness of the desiccated coconut.
12. At this point add crushed Cardamom (Elachi) seeds into it and mix it well.
13. Keep cooking on low flame, stirring continuously for 2 more minutes and then switch off the flame.
14. Grease the plate or tray (with clarified Butter or Ghee) in which you want to set the desiccated coconut Barfi.
15. Put the mixture on a greased (with Clarified Butter /Ghee) tray.
16. Using a spatula or hands, spread it to form a thick and smooth layer of the desiccated coconut barfi.
17. Garnish the top of the Barfi with coarsely grounded pistachio powder. Lightly press the pistachio powder with a flat spatula such that grounded pistachios are glued to the surface of the Barfi. Keep the mixture aside for 3-4 hours for setting it completely.
18. Cut it into desired shape and size once the mixture is set, I have made square cuts and remove them from greased Plate.
19. Quick and easy desiccated coconut Barfi is ready to serve. Store them in an airtight container and keep them refrigerated.
Yummy and very easy to make desiccated coconut Barfi is a great homemade dessert which can be made quickly on any festive occasion. Loved by all age group, this dessert is a must try.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.