Chilli Paneer recipe with step by step pictures
I love Indian Chinese cuisine, specially the way Chinese people migrated to Kolkata (West Bengal, India) created a wonderful cuisine, which is a delicious amalgamation of traditional Indian and Chinese flavors. Today, Indian Chinese ( or Sino Chinese) cuisine has become an integral part of Indian street food. Chilli Paneer is one of my favorite side dish among all the Indo Chinese recipes. Presenting below my take on this super yummy Chilli Paneer that goes very well with plain rice, fried rice or noodles. Do try :-).
Chilli Paneer Ingredients:
For fried Paneer cubes
Paneer (Fresh Cheese) – 200 grams
All purpose flour (Maida) – 2 tablespoon
Cornflour – 3 tablespoon
Crushed Pepper – 6 or 7 peppercorns
Salt as per taste
Water – 5 tablespoons
Refined Oil for frying Paneer cubes (I have used refined Sunflower Oil)
For Chilli Paneer Gravy
Sesame Oil – 2 tablespoon
Chopped Ginger- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Chopped Garlic – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Tomato Ketchup – 2 tablespoon
Chilli Sauce – 2 tablespoon
Soy Sauce – 2 tablespoon
Salt as per taste
Spring Onions – 2
Capsicum – 1 large or 2 medium sized
Kashmiri Red Chilli – 1 teaspoon
Cornflour – 1 tablespoon
Water – 1/2 Cup
Chilli Paneer Method:
1. Chop capsicum, spring onion greens and bulb (separately), onion, ginger and garlic as shown in the picture below.
2. Cut cubes of Paneer or fresh cheese as per your choice of size.
3. Put all purpose flour (Maida), cornflour, crushed black peppercorns and salt in a bowl.
4. Add water into it and give it a quick whisk.
5. Add all the diced Paneer (fresh cheese) cubes into the batter and mix it well such that all the Paneer cubes are well and evenly coated with the batter.
6. Now heat enough refined oil in a frying pan or wok and add some batter covered Paneer cubes into it using a spoon.
7. Fry all the Paneer cubes on medium flame till they becomes golden brown at their corners.
8. Remove them from frying pan and place them on a tissue paper so that excess of oil can be absorbed. Repeat step 6-8 for remaining Paneer cubes.
9. Now in a saucer or small bowl, put cornflour and add 1/2 cup of water in it. Whisk or mix it well and keep it aside for later use.
10. Now in a heated Pan with Sesame Oil in it (you can use regular refined oil if Sesame Oil is not available with you), Put chopped Ginger and Garlic. Saute them for 40 seconds on high flame.
11. Add chopped white bulbs of Spring Onions into it. Mix it well and saute it on high flame for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
12. Add chopped Capsicum and Onions into it and saute them for about 30 seconds on high flame.
13. Add tomato ketchup into it.
14. Next pour soy sauce into it.
15. Finally add red chili sauce.
16. Give it a quick mix.
17. Pour Cornflour and Water mix into the Pan and mix it well.
18. Add crushed Black Pepper Corns, Kashmiri red chilli powder into it along with Salt as per taste. Be careful while adding the salt as Soy Sauce already contains Salt. Better taste the gravy and add the Salt if required. Bring it to a quick boil and switch the flame to low. You can add a 1/4 teaspoon of Vinegar (optional) into the gravy at this point. But its optional as I don’t like much sour taste Chilli Paneer gravy.
19. Put fried Paneer cubes into the gravy.
20. Lightly mix them so that all the Paneer cubes are covered with the gravy and switch off the flame.
21. Garnish with finely chopped spring onion greens.
Super yummy Chilli Paneer is ready to be gobbled with a bowl of Rice or Noddles. You can directly serve them over rice on a bowl.
Cheers and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.