Chaulai ka Saag or Red Amaranth Stir fry is very popular side dish of North India during summer season. There are many variations of this stir fried dish within India, in West Bengal its known as Laal Shaak Bhaja. In Maharashtra its known as Laal Math or Laal Bhaaji and in Northern India its called Chaulai or Cholai ka Saag. It can be served with steamed Rice, Parantha or Roti.
Red Amaranth or Laal Chaulai leaves are very nutritious leafy vegetables. It has been eaten in Indian since ancient times and has been mentioned in Ayurveda also. Grains of Red Amaranth leaves also known as Ramdana in Hindi is very popular food in fasting days in India. It has high protein content which also includes Lycin, an amino acid which is not usually found in plants and vegetables. It is also a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Manganese, Zinc, Magnesium and Phosphorous. Red Amaranth also considered good for heart as it checks cholesterol level and boost immunity. As per Ayurveda, its good for Constipation, treats Diarrhea and improves Eyesight. Hence, we should take it on regular basis in our diet.
Presenting below North Indian style Red Amaranth stir fry or Chaulai ka Saag. Its very healthy, nutritious and taste wonderful with Rice or Roti.
500 gm Red Amaranth leaves or Chaulai (Cholai)
1 medium sized Onion, washed, cleaned, peeled and finely chopped.
3-4 cloves of Garlic, cleaned, peeled and chopped
1/4 teaspoon of Asafoetida (Hing) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric (Haldi) powder
1 teaspoon of Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1 teaspoon of Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch) powder
1/4 teaspoon of dry Mango (Amchoor) powder
Salt as per taste
1. Pluck the Red Amaranth (Chaulai) leaves from just above the thick stems and clean them thoroughly in water so that all the foreign particles gets removed. Chop all the leaves roughly as shown below.
2. In a heated pan with Oil in it, put Asafoetida (Hing) powder and Cumin Seeds (Jeera). Saute them for 10 seconds or till cumin turns golden Brown in color.
3. Now add chopped Garlic in it and saute the mixture for 10 seconds.
4. After that add chopped Onions to it and cook it over medium flame till chopped Onions turn golden Brown in color.
5. Add Turmeric (Haldi) powder, Kashmiri Red Chili (Degi Mirch) powder and Salt (as per taste) and mix it well.
6. Add chopped Red Amaranth (Chaulai) leaves in it and mix it. Cover it with a lid and cook it for around 10 minutes on medium slow flame till the leaves become tender and soft.
7. Give final touch to your vegetable by putting dry Mango powder (Amchoor) in it and cook it for a minute.
Very delicious Red Amaranth stir fry or Chaulai ka saag is ready. Serve this very healthy and nutritious dish with hot steamed rice or Parantha or Roti and Enjoy!