Calzone Pocket Paratha recipe with its step by step pictures.
Calzone Pocket Paratha is my way of converting calzone pockets into a much healthier version of paratha, so I named this recipe Calzone Pocket Paratha. You can also say its a fusion of calzone pockets and paratha. It is a smart way of feeding all the veggies in a smart way to my 4 years kiddo who is a very fussy eater. But this way he eats all the veggies quickly without any tantrums and in an interesting way too.
Making these Calzone Pocket Paratha may sound very difficult and complicated but believe me its very easy to make, just u need to do some preparations, like chopping veggies and preparing sauce etc. You can also make the sauce in large quantity and refrigerate it for further use. It may last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Here I have mentioned ingredients for single use, just increase the proportions the ingredients to make it in large quantity.
To make the process of making the Calzone Pocket Paratha easy to understand, I have divided the recipe into 4 easy steps:
- Kneading the dough
- Preparing the sauce
- Preparing the filling or stuffing
- Making the Paratha
So let’s start making the Calzone Pocket Paratha and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Whole Wheat Flour- 1 cup
All Purpose Flour (Maida)- 1 cup
Olive Oil- 1 teaspoon + extra for cooking parathas
Salt- 1 teaspoon
Lukewarm Water (To knead the dough)- As needed
Tomatoes- 2, medium (coarsely chopped)
Onion- 1, medium (coarsely chopped)
Garlic- 5-6 thick cloves (coarsely chopped)
Salt- As per your taste
Dried Oregano- 1.5 teaspoon
Dried Basil- 1 teaspoon
Bay Leaves- 2 small or 1 medium
Tomato Ketchup- 1 tablespoon
Paprika- 1 teaspoon
Red Chili Flakes- 1 teaspoon
Olive Oil- 1 tablespoon
Carrots- 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Red Bell Pepper- 1/4 cup, finely chopped (optional, I haven’t used)
Yellow Bell Pepper- 1/4 cup, finely chopped (optional, I haven’t used)
Green Bell Pepper- 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Zucchini- 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Cabbage- 1/4 cup, finely shredded
Turnip- 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Corn- 1/4 cup, boiled (optional, I haven’t used)
Fresh Cheese (Paneer)- 1/4 cup
Mozzarella Cheese- 1 cup, grated
Salt- As per your taste
Olive Oil- 1 tablespoon
1. Let’s start with cleaning and chopping the veggies.
Kneading the Dough:
1. In a big mixing bowl take whole wheat flour, salt, and all-purpose flour.
2. Make a well in the middle and add olive oil in it.
3. Using lukewarm water as required knead a soft dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep it aside to rest for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce and filling.
Preparing the Sauce:
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add bay leaf and garlic in it. Saute over medium flame till the raw aroma of garlic goes away. Be careful and don’t overcook or burn the garlic.
2. Add onions and mix well. Saute over medium flame till onions are translucent. Don’t overcook or burn them.
3. Add chopped tomatoes and mix them well. Cook them till they are soft and start releasing oil from their sides. When they are cooked turn off the flame and allow them to cool down and later puree them using a hand blender or electric mixer.
4. Pour this puree into the same pan and heat it. Stir it a little over medium flame.
5. Add salt to it and mix well.
6. Add paprika powder and mix well.
7. Add chili flakes and oregano + basil and mix well.
8. Add tomato ketchup and mix well. Cook over medium flame for two more minutes. Season with salt and sauce is ready. Turn off the flame and allow the sauce to cool down to room temperature.
Preparing the Filling (Stuffing):
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and add chopped carrots in it. Saute over medium-high flame for 2 minutes.
2. Add chopped Turnips and Capsicum and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add zucchini and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add cabbage and mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Season the veggies with salt and mix well. cook for next 1 to 2 minutes. We have to cook the veggies till they are tender. Be careful and don’t overcook the veggies.
6. Add paneer and mix well. After adding paneer just give the veggies a gentle stir and turn off the flame.
7. Filling or Stuffing is ready now. Turn off the flame and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
Making Calzone Pocket Paratha:
1. Take a small ball size quantity of the dough and roll out into a thin chapati using a rolling board and rolling pin.
2. Spread sauce over it.
3. Carefully spread the filling over half of it, leaving the edges clean.
4. Grate mozzarella cheese over the filling or stuffing, grate cheese in generous quantity.
5. Now apply water around the edges and carefully fold the chapati into the half.
6. Gently press with fingers to make it even.
7. Using a fork make some patterns at the edges.
8. Heat a girdle and gently and carefully place the paratha on it.
9. Cook from both sides till brown spots starts appearing on both sides. Use olive oil for it.
10. With the help of a tong hold it vertically and cook the lower portion also.
Calzone pocket paratha is ready to serve. Enjoy hot.
Do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.
HAPPY COOKING AND ENJOY EATING…..!!!!!