As a kid, I used to hate Broken Wheat or Dalia as we had only tasted it in sweet Porridge. But, later I came to know about amazing tasty recipes of Dalia that exists. Out of them, Broken Wheat or Dalia Idli is one of my preferred choices. It’s easy to make and taste amazing. Broken wheat or Cracked wheat ( Dalia or Lapsi) has many health benefits because it contains wheat bran and wheat germ, which is missing from regular wheat flour. Its complex carbs are considered good for people suffering from Diabetes, Heart diseases, and Obesity. Excellent source of Fiber, Magnesium, Phosphorous, and Iron, its considered as a superfood by Dietitians and Nutritionists.Presenting below Broken Wheat or Dalia Idli Recipe, which is simple to prepare and taste great. hope you like it.
Dalia Idli Ingredients:
1 cup of Broken wheat or Cracked wheat ( Dalia or Lapsi)
1/2 cup of Black Gram skinned and split (Dhuli Urad Daal)
1 teaspoon of Fenugreek (Methi) seeds
Salt as per taste
Water as needed
Dalia Idli Method:
1. Soak Black Gram skinned and split (Dhuli Urad Daal) plus Fenugreek (Methi) seeds and Broken wheat ( Dalia or Lapsi) separately in enough water for four hours. After that, drain out water completely from both soaked ingredients.
2. Grind soaked and drained skinned and split Black Gram (Dhuli Urad Daal) using a wet grinder. While grinding slowly add enough water to make a smooth very thick paste as shown in the picture below. Place it in a large mixing bowl.
3. Then, put soaked and drained Broken wheat ( Dalia or Lapsi) into the wet Grinder and coarsely grind it to form a paste of granular texture as shown below in the picture.
4. Pour it in the bowl having skinned and split Black Gram (Dhuli Urad Daal) paste. Add Salt to taste and whisk the mixture to form the Idli batter. As Broken wheat ( Dalia or Lapsi) has absorbed a good amount of water, there is no need to add any water further. However, if your batter is too thick, add a little bit of water to make it of thick pouring consistency.
5. Cover and leave the batter aside for at least 8-9 hours (Overnight) for fermentation. After 8-9 hours batter gets fermented and its filled with air and looks double in size.
6. Place a Ladle into the fermented mix give a very gentle mix of one circular round
7. Prepare Idli Moulds by greasing them and pour the fermented mixture into them and steam them for 15-16 minutes on medium flame.
8. Switch off the flame when done, remove Idli Moulds from the steamer and allow them to cool for a minute.
Scoop out really soft, texture-rich and super healthy Dalia Idli from the Moulds using a spoon or knife. serve these yummy Idli with Sambar and Chutney and enjoy its wholesome flavors.
Also, do subscribe our YouTube Channel by clicking on subscribe button for delicious recipe videos.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.