Bhapa Doi recipe with its step by step pictures. Learn how to make this rich, creamy, and delicious dessert.
West Bengal is very famous for its incredibly sweet delicacies. Rasgulla is the most popular Bengali dessert which is cherished around the world. Bhapa Doi is also a very popular and delicious Bengali dessert which is must to be made on any festive or celebratory occasion. Only a Bengali will understand how it feels to relish Bhapa Doi and Rasgulla after a meal.Bhapa Doi is made by mixing the hung curd with milk and a sweetener and flavor with any flavoring agent of your choice, like strawberries, saffron, cardamom and rose etc. It is up to you which flavor do you like in your Bhapa Doi, be creative and play with the flavors. In this recipe. I have flavored my Bhapa Doi with saffron and garnished it with saffron and pistachios, and tried to keep my recipe simple.
I was planning to make Bhapa Doi for a long time and during the entire process, I kept my fingers crossed, because I was so anxious about the results, but the moment I tasted it, pure bliss it was. Then only I realized why Bengalis are so proud of their sweet delicacies. I was so happy and satisfied with the results.
So let’s start making Bhapa Doi, and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients to make Bhapa Doi:
Hung Curd- 1 cup
Condensed Milk- 3/4 cup (Please adjust the sweetness as per your taste)
Milk- 1 cup + 2 teaspoon etc
Saffron- 1 teaspoon
Pistachios- 8-10, finely chopped (To garnish)
How to make Bhapa Doi:
1. Keep all the ingredients handy, it will save your time.
2. Soak half of the saffron in 2 teaspoons of lukewarm milk and keep it aside.
3. Using an electric beater mix hung curd and condensed milk together.If you don’t have an electric beater, you can do it manually too, using a hand whisker or spatula.
4. add the milk gradually and keep mixing it.
5. Mix it till smooth and frothy.
6. Add soaked saffron threads to it and mix well.
7. Pour this mixture in custard bowls or ramekin bowls or any oven-safe bowls.
8. If you are making Bhapa Doi on gas cooktop then fill a pressure cooker with water. Place a stand over it and arrange the ramekin bowls over it. Bowls should be half immersed in water. Seal the bowls with an aluminum foil. Close the lid of pressure cooker and remove the weight. Steam for 20-25 minutes or till a toothpick when inserted, comes out clean.
9. If making Bhapa Doi in an oven then arrange the ramekin bowls in an oven proof tray, filled with water. The ramekin bowls should be half immersed in water.
10. Seal the ramekin bowls with aluminum foil.
11. Steam the ramekin bowls in a preheated oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes or till a toothpick when inserted comes out clean. Take the tray out of the oven and allow it to cool down completely.
12. It is best to refrigerate Bhapa Doi for at least 2-3 hours before serving. Garnish with some finely chopped pistachios and serve.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.