Besan Ki Bijni recipe with step by step pictures. Learn how to make delicious Besan Ki Bijni, a forgotten traditional recipe of Uttar Pradesh.
Besan Ki Bijni is a very popular, delicious, quick and easy to make mouth watering recipe of many cities of Uttar Pradesh. In spite of being so delicious and easy to make, this recipe is now forgotten by many of us and is now disappearing from the menu of many households.
I remember, in my childhood, I was a huge fan of this recipe and use to relish it with plain rice. My Maami uses to make this for me. As I grew up and went to the hostel for my higher education, I slowly-slowly forgot this recipe and after marriage, I totally forgot this recipe.
One day my Mom visited me and said why don’t you try some traditional recipes for your blog like Besan Ki Bijni and that very moment I recalled this recipe and the next thing I did was I asked my Mom to make this dish for me and voilla, she recreated exactly the same taste as my Maami use to make in my childhood.
Besan Ki Bijni is a moderately spicy and delicious recipe that can be made in half an hour. It tastes bet with roti, paratha and even goes best with plain steamed rice. The gravy is made with garlic, onions, and tomatoes and seasoned with various spices. Adding Kasoori methi imparts a pleasing aroma and taste to this recipe.
The only time-consuming process of this recipe is making the besan balls/lumps and frying them. So if you want to serve it to your guests, you can prepare them in advance a night before and refrigerate it to save your time and effort.
So let’s start making Besan Ki Bijni and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for making Besan ki Bijni
Chickpea Flour/Gram Flour/Besan- 1/2 cup
Mustard Oil- 3 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon extra
Onion- 1 big
Garlic- 7-8 cloves
Ginger- 1″ piece
Tomatoes- 2 big
Green Chilies- 2
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander Powder- 1.5 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon (adjust as per your taste)
Garam Masala Powder- 1 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi- 1 teaspoon, crushed
Salt- As per your taste
Bay Leaves- 1 big or 2 small
Cumin Seeds- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida- 1/4 teaspoon
Method to make Besan ki Bijni:
Making the Besan Balls:
1.Take besan in a flat plate and sprinkle a little water over it.
2. Shake the plate using your one hand and keep dabbing the plate with your other hand. Doing this, small lumps of besan will form.
3. Repeat this process until the whole besan is converted into lumps.
4. Now add green chilies, garlic, and ginger to it and saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
4. Add sliced onions and mix. Saute till onions turn translucent.
5. Take them out in a plate and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
6. Later, grind them into a fine paste and keep aside.
7. Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
8. Add the besan balls/lumps in the pre-heated oil.
9. Fry the besan balls/lumps till they turn golden.
10. Take the fried besan balls in a strainer.
11. In the remaining oil add cumin seeds, asafoetida and bay leaves.
12. Add the prepared masala paste and saute over medium flame for 2 minutes.
13. Add all the powdered spices except salt and garam masala and mix well.
14. Saute the masala paste till fragrant.
15. Add tomato puree and mix well.
16. Saute the masala till fat starts to separate from the sides.
17. Add the fried besan balls in it.
18. Mix well and cook it for 2-3 minutes over medium flame.
19. Add water as required to adjust the gravy and season it with salt. Simmer it for 3-4 minutes.
20. Add garam masala and mix well. Simmer it for a minute and turn the flame off.
21. Delicious Besan Ki Bijni is ready to serve. Tastes best with roti, paratha or even steamed rice, accompanied with some fried green chilies. Enjoy.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.
HAPPY COOKING AND ENJOY EATING…..!!!!