Bedmi Poori is one of the most popular recipes of Agra and Mathura zone of Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one of the most preferred breakfast recipe in this region. It is very popular in the Delhi region also. Bedmi Poori is made with slight changes in ingredients from place to place, as in some places it is made with urad dal and at some places, it is made with moong dal, but they remain crispy and tasty in anyways.
Bedmi Poori is the most popular street food of Delhi, Agra, and Mathura region. Bedmi Poori can be made in two ways, first is to stuff the freshly ground dal mix in the wheat flour along with the spices and second is to knead the dal mix and other spices along with the whole wheat flour. This time I am sharing the recipe of making Bedmi poori by kneading all ingredients together.
Bedmi Pooris are best served with Dubki Wale Aloo ki Sabzi which is a no onion no garlic super tasty potato gravy based dish, but here in this recipe, I served Bedmi Poori with another very famous Matar Makhane Ki Sabzi.
So let’s start making Bedmi Poori, and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Split Black Gram (Dhuli Urad Dal)- 1 cup (soaked in water for 5-6 hours or overnight)
Whole Wheat flour- 2 cup
Semolina- 1/3 cup
Oil- 2 tablespoon
Salt- As per your taste
Ginger- 1-inch piece, finely grated or made into a paste.
Turmeric (Haldi) Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala- 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida (Heeng)- 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin (Jeera) Powder- 1 teaspoon
Fennel (Saunf Powder)- 1 teaspoon
Carrom Seeds (Ajwain)- 1 teaspoon
1. Wash and soak split black gram insufficient water for overnight. After this gently drain out water and again wash the dal with clean water and keep it aside.
2. Grind it into a paste using either very little or no water. Don’t make the paste very smooth, keep it granular.
3. In a big mixing bowl take whole wheat flour, semolina, black gram paste, salt, Kasoori methi and all the spices. I forgot to add red chili powder and ginger so added them later while kneading the dough.
4. Mix all ingredients together and knead into a dough with either no or very little water.
5. Cover the dough with a cloth and keep it aside for 10 minutes. Later take out a small portion of the dough and roll out into a small Poori with the help of a rolling pin. Roll out other pooris also in the same way.
6. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the Poori in it. Keep the flame medium while frying the Poori.
7. Fry poori from both sides till it is golden brown in color.
8. Fry all pooris in the same way. Crispy Bedmi Pooris are ready to serve. Can be enjoyed hot with any gravy dish or simply with pickle and a hot cup of tea. I served it with very famous Matar Makhane Ki Sabzi.