Tamatar Bathua Saag recipe with step by step pictures
Tamatar Bathua Saag is a great way of incorporating Bathua, a healthy green leafy vegetables in your diet. Bathua or Chenopodium album is a weed plant which is grown and consumed in northern parts of India. It is known as Chakwat in Marathi, Paruppukkirai in Tamil and Pappukura in Telugu. Bathua leaves are mostly eaten in during winter season and in form of Saag, Raita, Parantha and Poori. They are very healthy as they are rich in fibers, vitamin A, amino acids and iron. It has high antibacterial and analgesic properties. Bathua, leaves should be eaten in moderation as it contains high amount of oxalic acid which decreases the ability of body to absorb calcium. If Bautha leaves eaten in lesser quantity then they are very good for your health. Presenting below, Tamatar Bathua Saag recipe which tastes great with Roti or Rice, do try 🙂
Tamatar Bathua Saag Ingredients:
Bathua (Chenopodium album) leaves – 3 cups
Onions – 2 medium sized
Tomatoes – 4 medium sized
Green chilies – 2
Garlic cloves – 6 or 7
Mustard oil – 2.5 tablespoons
Turmeric (Haldi) powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – As per taste
Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 teaspoon
Tamatar Bathua Saag Method:
1. First we need to pluck and separate all Bathua leaves from stems, then we need to wash/clean them with water and keep them in strainer so that excess water can get drain out for around 4-5 minutes.
2. Chop these leaves roughly.
3. In a heated pan with mustard oil in it, add cumin seeds (Jeera), allow them to get little brownish on medium high flame, it will take about 20 seconds.
4. Now add chopped onions into it, mix it well and saute onions on medium low flame till they turn light golden brown in color.
5. Add chopped green chilies and garlic cloves into it. Mix it well for about 30 seconds on a medium flame.
6. Add Turmeric (Haldi) powder to it and mix it well for 10 to 15 seconds on a medium low flame.
7. Add roughly chopped tomatoes into it, mix it well and cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring continuously till tomatoes are cooked. It should take about 4-5 minutes approximately.
8. Add chopped Bathua leaves into the cooked tomatoes and spice mixture and mix it well.
9. Next, add salt as per taste and mix it well.
10. Cook for about 8-10 minutes on medium low flame, stirring occasionally till Bathua leaves are cooked and all the things have mixed into each other properly, as shown in the picture below.
Super tasty and healthy Tamatar Bathua Saag is ready. You can enjoy it with Roti (Indian style flat bread), Naan, Daal-Rice or Parantha. Enjoy the delightful flavors of this yummy dish.
Cheers and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipe.