Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat, detailed recipe with step by step pictures. Now make the popular street food of North India in your kitchen and enjoy.
Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat is a very popular North Indian street food, which is loved by all. In this recipe, Aloo Tikki is spicy patties made with boiled potatoes and later, frying them in hot oil. Matar is the boiled white peas or safed matar with assorted spices and both Aloo Tikki and Matar are then served with various toppings like fresh beaten yogurt and chutneys, chopped onions and lastly, they are seasoned with few spices and garnished with fresh coriander leaves. Being born and brought in North India, I am a die-hard fan of the Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat. Not only me, every North Indian loves relishing this Aloo TIkki Matar Chaat. There are many variations of this chaat available like you can serve it without boiled peas, or you can replace white peas with chickpeas aka Kabuli Chana (chole).It depends on your choice. Also, you can skip adding ginger and green chilies to the potato tikki if you are serving them to kids. However, adding them always enhances the flavor of Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat.
For more street food recipes you can also check Mirchi Vada, Moong Dal Kachori, Kanji Vada, Masala Pav, Pyaaz Kachori, Vada Pav, Batata Vada etc. So without wasting any time let’s start making Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat and here is the step by step recipe with pictures.
Ingredients for making Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat
For preparing Potato Patties (Tikki)
- Potatoes- 6 (boiled and peeled)
- Corn Flour- 3 tablespoons
- Salt- To taste
- Green Chilies- 2 (optional)
- Ginger- 1″ (finely chopped or grated)
- Green Coriander Leaves- 1/8 cup (finely chopped)
For Preparing Matar
- White Peas (Safed Matar)- 1 cup
- Water- sufficient enough to boil the matar
- Salt- To taste
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Dates and Tamarind Chutney- 1/2 cup
- Coriander and Mint Chutney- 1/2 cup
- Chopped Onions- 1/2 cup
- Chopped Cilantro Leaves- 1/2 cup
- Chaat Masala- As required
- Black Salt- As Required
- Salt- As required
- Red Chili Powder- As required
- Cumin Powder- 2 tablespoons
How to make Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat
1. Start with soaking the matar (white peas) in sufficient water for 7-8 hours or for overnight.
2. Next, transfer the white peas to a pressure cooker and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt to it and pressure cook it for 7-8 minutes over medium flame or till the white peas are soft and tender. Don’t overcook the white peas.
3. Meanwhile, mash the potatoes using a potato masher or with your hands, whichever suits you.
4. Add chopped coriander leaves, green chilies, and ginger to it. You can avoid adding the green chilies if making this recipe for kids.
5. Add salt and cornflour to it and mix well.
6. Mix all the ingredients well.
7. With the heel of your palms shape the potato mix into round flat tikki.
8. Shape all the tikki in the same way.
9. Heat oil in a pan and fry the tikki in it.
10. Fry them from both the sides till they are nicely golden brown in color.
11. Fry all the Tikki in the same way and take them out on a kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
12. Now it’s time to assemble our Aloo Tikki to make the delicious aloo Tikki matar chaat.
13. Take the boiled white peas (matar) on a plate and place two aloo tikki over it.
14. Add yogurt over the aloo tikki followed by the coriander and mint chutney (click here for the recipe).
15. Add dates and tamarind chutney (click here for the recipe), and chopped onions over it.
16. Sprinkle black salt, red chili powder, chaat masala and cumin powder over it.
17. Lastly, garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves.
18. Delicious Aloo Tikki Matar Chaat is ready to serve. Enjoy it immediately as you add chutneys and yogurt to it, else it will turn soggy.
Cheers, and do like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VegetariansDelight to get updates on our latest recipes.