Aloo Palak is cooked Potatoes and Spinach leaves mixed with Indian spices. Its very easy to prepare and taste yummy with Rice or Roti (Indian Flat Bread). I like to cook different types of Spinach recipes as it require very less pre-processing time since Spinach leaves are easy to clean and get chopped in no time. You can quickly clean, blanch, chop/puree them and use it later. Also, not to forget that Spinach leaves are good source of Iron, Calcium, B-Vitamins and fibers. Aloo Palak Sabji is the most traditional way of eating Spinach in India. Its also called as Aloo Palak Saag as well.
300 gm of fresh Spinach leaves (Palak)
4 medium size Potatoes, cleaned, peeled and chopped in medium size cubes
2 medium sized Onions peeled and chopped
4 tablespoon of refined Oil ( I prefer Sunflower Oil)
1 teaspoon of Cumin (Jeera) seeds
1/2 teaspoon of powdered Asafoetida (Hing)
1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric (Haldi) powder
1 teaspoon of Kashmiri Chili ( Degi Mirch) powder
1 teaspoon of Cumin (Jeera) powder
1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala powder
1/4 teaspoon of dry Mango powder (Amchoor)
Salt as per taste
1. In a heated pan with Oil in it, Add Cumin Seeds (Jeera), after 10 seconds add powdered Asafoetida (Hing) and mix it will.
2. Now add chopped Onions into it, mix it well and sauté it on medium low flame till onions turns golden Brown in color.
3. Add Turmeric (Haldi) powder and Coriander (Dhania) powder to it and mix it well for 10 to 15 seconds on a low flame.
4. Now add Kashmiri Chili (Degi Mirch) powder to it and mix it well.
5. Immediately add diced potatoes into it, mix it well and cook it on medium slow flame till Potatoes are cooked well, stirring in between occasionally.
6. Meanwhile, cut the Spinach leaves from bottom such that it has only leaves and a centimeter long stem left. Wash them thoroughly in running water so that they have no foreign material on it. Now chop roughly all the leaves and put them aside till Potatoes get cooked.
7. As soon as Potatoes are cooked or almost cooked, add chopped Spinach into it and mix it well.
8. Cook it for 3 minutes on a medium slow flame, stirring occasionally in between. After 3 minutes Add dry Mango powder (Amchoor), Garam Masala powder, Cumin (Jeera) powder and Salt as per taste to it and mix it well for a minute.
Very tasty and healthy Potato Spinach cooked vegetable aka Aloo Palak ki Sabzi is ready. You can enjoy it with Roti (Indian style flat bread), Naan, Daal-Rice or Parantha.